Chapter Ten: Close Call & Capture

Olivia was sprawled out on the couch, files in hand. She was looking at Hewitt’s childhood before her phone let out a loud chirp. She flipped it open. “Benson.”

            It was Mark. He seemed slightly panicked, which was odd for a man who usually kept his cool. He rattled on about a connection him and his fellow officers made that linked all his possible victims, known victims, and included the New Yorker.

            “Mark, that’s great, I-“

            “Come with us. You’ve worked just as hard as we have and I want you to be there when we collar the bastard.”

            Olivia only hesitated a moment before snatching her badge and gun from the coffee table. “I’ll be there in a few.”

            Alex came out from the hallway. “Everything okay?”

            “They got evidence”, Olivia called as she hurried out the door. “We’re picking him up now. Guy made a celebratory trip to California.”

………..

            “GPS puts him in this location!” Mark shouted as the sedan pulled alongside an apartment building.

            Olivia recognized the address. “He used to live here!” she called, getting out of the car and running with Mark into the building. “It was the building he lived in with his mom.”

            They ran as fast as they could through the stairwell. Mark dispatched for backup, never stopping until they reached the twelfth floor.

            They ran down the hallway to apartment E. Mark rapped on the door. “LAPD, open up!”

            They listened for something, anything.

            The noise they finally heard was a muffled gunshot. Olivia’s eyes widened. Mark only looked at her for a split second. She nodded and he kicked in the door. They quickly cleared every room, and stepping quietly, they made their way to the back bedroom.

            Olivia stood in horror; gun in hand, at Mrs. Hewitt’s fallen body.

            She never saw him come up behind her.

            Norman Hewitt had her in a choke hold. “Drop the gun!” Mark shouted; his own pistol aimed at Hewitt’s head.

            The sound of Hewitt’s voice filled her head. She shuddered. “Drop it, or her brains are on the wall.”

            Mark stood still for a moment, before slowly lowering his gun to the floor. “Okay, okay, just don’t shoot her.” He stood back up, his hands in the air.

            “Drop your gun too”, he whispered hotly in Olivia’s ear. He grazed his reddened hand over her chest. “Pretty lady.”

            Olivia gripped her gun by the barrel, lightly tossing it to the floor. “Please”, she whispered.

            “We’re gonna have some fun here”, Hewitt grinned. He glanced at his mother, dead on the floor, then back down at Olivia. He motioned towards Mark with his gun. “You, stay put or she’s gone.”

            Mark nodded, his eyes wide.

            Hewitt crossed the room, dragging Olivia along with him. He pushed her between a narrow space between the wall and the bed. He backed up. “Take your shirt off”, he commanded.

            Olivia looked at him. “Please, no.”

            Hewitt stepped closer to her with the gun in his hand. “You like living, don’t you?”

            “Okay, okay”, Olivia whispered. She grabbed the undersides of her red v-neck and lifted it over her head, discarding it on the bed.

            Hewitt uttered a throaty moan of approval. “Shoes, socks, pants; take them off.”

            Olivia did as she was told, tears filling her brown eyes. She stood there in her underwear, shivering with the coolness of the apartment and with fear.

            “Lay down”, Hewitt pointed at the bed with his gun. Seeing Olivia’s hesitation, he growled. “NOW.”

            “Okay”, Olivia whispered. She felt tears spill over onto her cheeks. She lay down on the bed, on top of the floral pink sheets.

            Hewitt tried to unzip his pants, but couldn’t with the gun in his shaking hands. In one, foolish decision, he set the gun down on the bed.

            Quicker than Olivia had ever seen anyone move before, Mark grabbed a small pistol from the back waistband of his pants and fired.

            A single gunshot rang out and Olivia shrieked.

            Norman Hewitt fell to the floor. Olivia crawled across the bed towards the doorway. She stepped over Mrs. Hewitt’s lifeless body and into Mark’s arms. She couldn’t control her sobs then.