Chapter Two: Heaven in Flight

Olivia swung her boots under the chair.

            Her friend took notice. “Are you five?”

            “I feel like it. God, we’ve been here for what, four hours?” Olivia asked, impatiently.

            “Try one hour”, Alex corrected.

            “Whatever. I swear, I’ll die. If not by plane crash, then by-“

            “Liv!” Alex said in a hushed tone. “You’ll worry the passengers.”

            “Well, it happens”, Olivia said. She looked over her shoulders and around the other people. “Welcome to the real world, folks.” One woman looked up and smiled at her. Olivia nodded toward the woman in response. She turned back to Alex. “Alex, I-“

            A monotone, male voice came on over the speakers. “Flight 675 departure to Los Angeles, California, now boarding…”

            Olivia couldn’t resist. “You know, that’s awfully close to Flight 575, the one with that zombie disease. You can’t tell me this is not a coincidence, Alex”, she chattered nervously, but of course she was joking.

            Of course.

            They walked together through the small hallway that would take them to the plane. Alex smiled bashfully at the flight attendant.

            Olivia looked at their boarding passes. “Okay, in all seriousness, we are 18B and 18C.” Olivia smiled playfully. “The window seats.”

            “You can have the inside since I know you’ll be bored to death in the middle”, Alex said with a smile.

            “Thanks counselor, I always knew you as a generous soul.” Olivia quickly made her way to their row and seats. She maneuvered her small frame between the seats and to her place at the window. Alex took her place beside her.

………………….

            After fifteen minutes or so, the plane began moving. Alex could see that this sudden movement jolted the detective. “You okay, Liv?” Alex decided on asking.

            Olivia gave a small smile. “Yeah”, she whispered. “I’m just not used to flying.”

            After only a few moments of deliberation, Alex reached over and took Olivia’s hand in her own. Startled, the older woman looked at Alex with deep, dark, brown eyes. “Thank you because honestly, I-“