Chapter Nine

Chattering, voices coming and going, then a light above my medibed finally brought me out of my slumber. I was hungry, thirsty and sick and tired of feeling so weak and tired.

Nova? I tentatively thought loudly, wondering if he was still attached to my head.

[Still here. I've been downloading the cruiser's database and found various caches of music and vidcoms. Interesting entertainment they are producing these days.] Nova's voice was sounding a lot more natural and less tinny or artificial than it was before. Like he'd been practising being human. [Not practising, just adjusting the infliction of each word I say, so to speak.] He wasn't quite sounding like himself though.

Yes, more human. I commented. But what is with that god-awful accent you have going on? Go back to the previous accent, I liked it much better. Then I realised he was sounding like my head butler from home.

"No, don't do Jeeves, bad accent." I mumbled out loud and was awarded with a response by medic personnel.

"Miss, are you awake? Can you hear me?" The voice was female and very nice to hear. I smiled, still groggy, still tired.

"I can hear you," I responded back, quietly.

"That's great. Can you tell me your name, Miss?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm Cia Brr..." At the last moment I decided to leave off my surname. "I'm Cia." I opened my eyes and blinked a few times, trying to get rid of the blurriness. [Nova? Are we secure? Are they aware of you in my BrainComp implant? Do they know who I am?]

"Hey, nice to meet you. I am Medic Ivanoff and you are in the medical bay on board the ASF Clements. You were rescued two days ago from a shuttle drifting in space near the Handsill Nebula." Medic Ivanoff was dressed in typical ASF Navy blue uniform. Recognising the insignia gave me a lot more peace and relief knowing that we'd been rescued.

[You are safe, for now. They can't identify you as you've been lost in space for a little over six months. Probably presumed dead. I have masked myself to look like your old BrainComp and I'd used up all my nanites to keep you alive. We're all good.]

I sighed, a little happy, a lot relieved. "Thank goodness," I mumbled. A hand landed on my shoulder and gently squeezed and I turned to see a dark haired woman in her mid thirties hovering over me.

"You're safe now. I bet you have a story or two to tell." She chuckled, trying to pacify me, get me to let my guard down. But after living with very skilled and powerful family all my life, I knew exactly what she was trying to do so it didn't work. I smiled, to pacify her in return and let my tired eyes close.

"Hmm-mm." I replied. Nova, if I am MIA, what would be the cause and effect of my resurfacing?

[I am unable to ascertain the answer to your question at this time. For now, give them basic, generalised information about your home planet, your occupation, that you were kidnapped and you don't know how you ended up where they found you. That should keep you safe for a little while longer.]

"Thirsty." I mumbled.

"Cia, I'll set your medibed to raise your head up and help you with a drink of nutrient fluid and water. Does that sound OK?" The medic lady moved around the medibed and adjusted the top half of the bed so I was sitting up.

I felt so weak trying to sit upright. My eyes didn't hurt much any more, and I was able to see clearly again. I looked at Medic Ivanoff and smile and thanked her once she'd helped me eat and drink.

"I think I was taken from home? I don't remember much. Can I contact my family? Are they looking for me? What about my condition? When will I be able to get up and about again?"