4| Strictly professional

Start from the beginning

At some point, when I've finished liaising with clients, I head toward the coffee machine for my much-needed coffee break. Milo trails after me, standing right behind me as I wait. "I know what you're doing," I say without turning around.

I don't have to look at him to know his eyebrow is raised. "What am I doing?"

Ah, the age old playing dumb tactic. Well, two can play at that game. "Never mind, Milo."

I get back to my desk, and it's not long before Laurelle calls for those of us up for the promotion to come to her office. We rise from our seats and walk to the elevator to the stares of everyone else. Walking down this aisle is like walking down death row. I can practically hear the chant, Dead man walking as Milo presses for the button.

The four of us step inside in deathly silence. As soon as the doors close behind us, I turn to Harry, ignoring Milo completely. "What do you think the task will be?"

"Something ridiculous, knowing Laurelle," he says with a little disdain.

"Maybe some kind of How would you approach this scenario," Patricia says. I can't help but notice how confident she sounds.

When the doors open, I step into the lobby and let out this little dreamy sigh, the way I always do when I step on this floor. This is how imagine Charlie to feel when he wins the golden ticket and heads to the chocolate factory.

Milo looks at me like I'm officially insane. "You weren't kidding about liking it up here."

I ignore him and grab a coffee from the machine-which tastes one thousand times better than the coffee downstairs-and take a seat. My body sinks into the Italian leather sofas, and I close my eyes in pure bliss. I only have ten minutes top to enjoy this; I'm going to make it count.

"It's nice that you're so easily pleased," Milo says, sinking into the seat beside me.

I ignore him and continue to breathe in. The air up here is so much fresher somehow, like the rooms are equipped with air purifiers. There's a slightly fruity scent, too, mango mixed with the scent of clean sheets. I can't get enough of it. The only thing that could ruin this feeling right now is if Lucas walks past. Please don't walk past.

"Laurelle is ready to see you all."

My eyelids fly open, and I'm almost disappointed at having to move. I get to my feet at the same time as the others, and after sharing a brief look with Milo, head to Laurelle's office. He knocks on the door, and after a curt, "Come in," the four of us gather in her office.

As usual, Laurelle doesn't look away from her screen. "We've got some big properties lined up," she says, clicking at her mouse. "All around ten million, all ready for staging." She finally looks up. "Normally, these properties would go to someone on this floor, someone I can trust, but I think this will be a good opportunity for you to prove yourselves."

I glance at Milo, holding my breath in the silence that follows. I think he is holding his, too.

"You'll each take a property," she continues. "You'll need to determine what type of client the property will attract, and you'll need to use your findings to work alongside an interior designer to get the homes ready for an open house viewing. You'll also need to take pictures and inform me of every step so I can track your process." She stops talking to shoot us a severe look. "If you've done your jobs properly, your homes should sell for the asking price and you'll not only get your cut, but it'll go a long way in helping me decide who joins my team. Got it?"

We nod, and with a flick of her hand, we're dismissed. The whole elevator ride down, I play her words in my head on repeat, already imagining the type of house I'll be given. Milo and the others are silent next to me, and I know they are doing the same. The doors open again, and without another word, we rush to our desks.