Chapter 4: Burning Emblems

Start from the beginning

"Well I guess this is goodbye again Grell, I'll see you later I suppose." She waved at him and also sat down, watching Sebastian lift him away and out of the study.

"OH I SEE YOU LIKE IT ROUGH MY LITTLE BAS- UWAH!!"

Y/N heard the sound of something being chucked out of a window. Oh Grell.

"Y/N, it seems you've already met Grell Sutcliffe before," Ciel was becoming more and more curious of the girl by the minute, "might you be able to explain?"

"... I would be glad to Phantomhive. I've met Grell a few times before, once accompanying a man by the name of William? Yes, that's it, and they were out collecting... Running errands I mean. It was after a massacre at my grandparents' household."

Ciel had read on this killing, Sebastian had also informed him about it. He only nodded. Y/N continued.

"After that, he seemed quite interested in my family and I, and so has visited me a few times."
Sebastian returned, dusting his hands off.

"I've successfully gotten rid of the pest milord."

"Good." Was all Ciel replied with.

Arthur then entered, looking directly at Y/N, a gleam in his eye.

"Milady, it's time to go. You've got further arrangements at home."

Y/N stood up again, bowing lightly at Ciel before walking up to Arthur.

"I'll be going now. Thank you for your time Lord Phantomhive."

She was about to walk out of the door when Ciel suddenly stopped her with his voice.

"Wait!" He called out, "Sebastian, give Y/N the box."

Sebastian followed his masters orders, passing Y/N a small box, designed in detail.

"Open it." Ciel said, looking at Y/N carefully.

Y/N's blood ran cold. Her hands shaking ever so slightly, opening the box cautiously. A bracelet, the Funtom company mark on it. Y/N's eyes went wide in shock.

"I-I can't accept this, I'm sorry Lord Phantomhive, I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because... Because I barely know you and you should not feel obliged to do anything for me, it should be I who is obliged to you-"

"Then you should wear it as a favour."

"I really can't-"

Arthur suddenly interrupted, a sharpness in his usually soft voice.

"I'm sorry milord, but Y/N cannot take this. It would cause great distress for milady."

He gracefully took the box from Y/N's shaking hands, striding to Ciel's table, placing it down abruptly.

"We bid you farewell."

And with that, Arthur swiftly picked Y/N up, setting her in his arms comfortably, quickly exiting the Phantomhive household, towards the carriage.

Ciel smirked to himself.

"Sebastian, it seems that we've put together a small part of the puzzle."

Sebastian looked at his master.

"Perhaps. But you still don't know what the full picture is, my Lord."

•••

Y/N was left confused, sitting on her king sized bed, staring out of the window. What did Ciel mean by giving her that bracelet? Surely it wasn't out of pity or silly emotions was it? No, she was sure of it. He was proving to be impertinent, perhaps trying to find out a particular something about her. And that something was not what she wanted to tell anyone so freely. Ciel was venturing outside of the circle of the case of her missing family. And that was not what they've been assigned.

"Y/N," Arthur quietly said, appearing beside her, sitting down on the bed with her, "I hope what Lord Phantomhive did today hasn't shaken you too much. Don't think about it. Okay?"

"How can I not think about it... He's being too curious," she looked up at Arthur,"I must have let down my guard too much. A lady like myself not wearing any jewellery is something quite noticeable for the hawk-eyed. Ciel Phantomhive is the Queen's guard dog, of course that's to be expected of him."

Y/N carefully slipped off her left glove, revealing a scar, ringing her entire thumb. She stroked it gently, remembering the pain in which caused this mark to appear. A line from her thumb lead down to above her wrist where an emblem was marked on her skin in a dead flesh colour.

"Milady," Arthur started again, "would you like to see Lord Phantomhive again?"

"Yes. I do. I'll do whatever it takes to find my family again."

She put her glove back on again, standing up, walking to the window, she looked out at the bustling city in the distance and the Phantomhive manor which was even further away.

"Whatever you want milady."

•••

Y/N was out walking in the city looking for a new dress to wear. One that was elaborate enough to draw attention away from her not wearing any jewellery. There were plenty of good shops around, but Y/N only favoured one over all of them. The shop called 'Cordelia's'. Cordelia, the shop's owner was a friend of the L/N's and regularly kept in contact with them. She had served Y/N's family for generations now, providing fine, detailed clothing for them.

Y/N strolled through the busy streets, head held high like a lady should, Arthur closely following behind her. However she hadn't expected what was coming next. She seemed to have cross paths with the Earl Phantomhive and his butler Sebastian. Y/N gave a brief nod in greeting. Ever since their last meeting she had made sure her emotional wall was held strong.

"Lady L/N," Ciel said, rather unemotionally, "it's a surprise to bump into you here."

"Indeed." Was all she answered back.

Ciel looked to his right. They were standing outside of one of the 'Blood Jewels' branches. What a coincidence.

"Beautiful jewellery your company design," Ciel said promptly, "do you mind showing me one of the collections here if you aren't busy?"

Y/N looked at Arthur, who nodded at her.

"Ok, Lord Phantomhive. I can spare a little time." She stepped into the shop.

•••

A/N

I don't even know what a long or short chapter is anymore :'D so sorry if it's "short" and yay if it's "long"! Man, this weird AU is strange, I'm not sure where to place it, I mean there's Pluto in the chapter before, and I'm not sure whether to bring in Alois? Ugrh I dunno /)_(\ what am I even doing?