3.14 - el matadero

Start from the beginning

"how's your leg?" troy asked as ivy watched nick and alicia say their goodbyes

"better" she said, moving from the passenger seat to the back seats "it doesn't hurt anymore"

"and your wrists?"

she frowned a little bit. she hadn't looked at them in a while, but she guessed that they were healing.

"i'm good, troy" ivy said sweetly and looked at him from between the front seats

he pursed his lips and nodded, pressing a kiss to her head as nick made his way to the truck.

"why don't you lay down in the back and get some sleep? i'll wake you when we get there."

she agreed and moved to the back, nick pulling himself into the front seat. she laid down across the seats just as troy started down the road.

at first, it was a bit hard for her to shut her eyes. the rocking of the truck kept her awake and she had practically hardwired herself to live off of no sleep. but soon the sound of troy and nick's quiet talking and hum of the engine lulled her to sleep. she didn't even hear when their conversation turned to her.

"ivy a child of violence, too?"

troy shrugged a bit "maybe. she never talked about her parents much."

"not even to you?" nick asked

"think she'd rather forget about them."

nick nodded and looked back at her. she was fast asleep, and she looked like the most peaceful thing he'd seen in a while. it was like the world was back to normal and she was going to bed on a school night.

"how'd you meet her, anyway?"

"jake saw her. she passed out in the dirt a few yards from the gate."

nick looked back at troy "and then what? she woke up and you called her your girlfriend?"

he chuckled and shook his head, fixing the rear view mirror so he could keep an eye on her "she didn't wanna do anything alone, so she followed me around. i thought she'd take to jakey, but she only wanted me."

nick looked at him incredulously. he went along with it anyway, as there was no reason for troy to lie.

"well, good job." he said. troy looked over at him. "you take good care of her."

he nodded shortly and looked back at the road as nick added

"before we went to the helicopter, she told me she wouldn't survive if you died. said she didn't know what would happen, but she knew she'd be dead. you know that?"

troy nodded again, but he didn't immediately say something. the found the words he wanted to use before saying anything.

"she told me all that a long while ago. that's why i always keep her close. i can't let anything happen to her - she needs me." he licked his lips "no one has ever depended on me that much"

nick's eyes narrowed at him. he had to admit, even though troy had mislead her once or twice, he did a damn good job at keeping her alive. he couldn't even imagine having to take care of someone like troy did ivy.

"how'd you get it out of her? how'd you get her to tell you that?"

a big smile then formed on troy's face and he glanced at nick "one bourbon soda"