ivy and troy shared a look before he spoke. "payback, vernon. that's what my father means. whatever this threat is, large or small, we'll make this right."

"hey, we'll meet out justice when we know what we're dealing with." jake spoke up. his views began to clash with troy's and jeremiah's "we cant afford to lose ourselves. we're more than a mob. we have to be something hopeful in this world. like my father says; if you plan for the future..."

the crowd took it from there "plan for a better one."

madison stepped back to move away from the tray table and felt something press into her back

madison stepped back to move away from the tray table and felt something press into her back. she whipped around, expecting to see troy with a scowl, but she instead found ivy.

"sorry" she said with a smile, setting her tray on top of madison's

"no, that's okay..." madison said as she watched her "you're ivy, right?"

the girl nodded and looked up "ivy jung. and you're madison clark."

madison copied ivy's movements, nodding with her mouth opened slightly. she could tell that ivy was a kid. her face was sweet - a button nose topped off with round cheeks and big doe eyes.

"how old are you, ivy?"

ivy sighed and set her hands on her hips as she thought "seventeen, last time i checked. why?"

madison made a mental note. ivy was 17, and troy was at least 20.

"you're my daughters age."

ivy nodded and gave madison an awkward smile. she looked around for someone, whom madison guessed was troy, before looking back when madison spoke again.

"are your parents here? could i meet them?"

she shook her head, her voice becoming softer "no, my parents are gone."

"oh...i'm sorry..." madison frowned for ivy "you must be taking care of yourself, then."

ivy shook her head again "oh no, i can't...troy takes care of me - makes sure i don't get eaten or anything."

madison's eyebrows knitted. she'd seen bits and pieces of troy's kindness towards ivy; like how he held her close in the truck bed. from what she'd seen, he did take care of her.

but it wasn't purely that. if the display hickeys on her neck didn't give it away, the way they looked at each other sure did.

"i know you don't like him very much" ivy said, interrupting madison's thoughts "but you haven't seen the good side of him. i promise that it's there."

madison gave a short shake of her head "i'll believe it when i see it."

ivy pursed her lips and offered a soft smile before she walked away, leaving madison to put some puzzle pieces together.