43 ; cat, rat, dog, and fish

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 43

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Y/N's mind had gone blank with shock. The only thing she heard was the pounding of Harry's heart, and the four of them stood transfixed with horror under the Invisibility Cloak. The very last rays of the setting sun were casting a bloody light over the long-shadowed grounds. Then, behind them, they heard a wild howling.

"Hagrid," Harry muttered. He made to turn back but Y/N, still wrapped tightly around him, held him back with all the strength she could.

"We can't," said Ron, who was paper-white. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him. . . ."

Hermione's breathing was shallow and uneven.

"How – could – they?" she choked. "How could they?"

"Come on," said Ron, whose teeth seemed to be chattering. Y/N, too, was cold (or perhaps that wasn't why Ron's teeth were chattering?) and Harry offered her his jacket, which she gladly took and put on over her Quidditch jumper as they set back toward the castle. The light was fading fast now.

By the time they reached open ground, darkness was settling like a spell around them.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed, clamping his hand over his chest. The rat was wriggling madly. Ron came to a sudden halt, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket. "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still – OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered urgently. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute –"

"He – won't – stay – put –"

Scabbers was plainly terrified. He was writhing with all his might, trying to break free of Ron's grip.

"What's the matter with him?"

But Y/N saw it – slinking toward them, his body low to the ground, wide yellow eyes glinting eerily in the darkness – Crookshanks. Whether he could see them or was following the sound of Scabbers's squeaks, Y/N couldn't tell.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione groaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

But the cat was getting nearer –

"Scabbers – NO!"

Too late – the rat had slipped between Ron's clutching fingers, hit the ground, and scampered away. In one bound, Crookshanks sprang after him, and before Harry or Hermione or Y/N could stop him, Ron had thrown the Invisibility Cloak off himself and pelted away into the darkness.

"Ron!" Hermione shrieked.

She and Harry and Y/N looked at each other, then followed at a sprint; it was impossible to run full out under the Cloak; they pulled it off and it streamed behind them like a banner as they hurtled after Ron; they could hear his feet thundering along ahead and his aggressive shouts at Crookshanks.