25 ; triple attack ✔︎

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 2 : CHAPTER 25

It wasn't a secret to Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Y/N that Hagrid had an unfortunate liking for large and monstrous creatures and would go through extreme measures to have one

It wasn't a secret to Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Y/N that Hagrid had an unfortunate liking for large and monstrous creatures and would go through extreme measures to have one. Take last year, for example. There was Fluffy, the giant three-headed dog he'd raised, and then Norbert, the Norwegian Ridgeback he drunkenly won. It wouldn't surprise them if a thirteen-year-old Hagrid would try to fit a leash and collar around this monster.

Again and again, in their free time, Ron, Hermione, and Y/N made Harry recount what he'd seen in the diary, but they wouldn't inform Theodore, Blaise, or Daphne until they knew for sure it was Hagrid who opened the Chamber.

"Riddle might have got the wrong person," said Hermione. "Maybe it was some other monster that was attacking people. . . ."

"How many monsters d'you think this place can hold?" Ron asked dully.

"You'd be surprised," Y/N muttered.

"We always knew Hagrid had been expelled," said Harry miserably. "And the attacks must've stopped after Hagrid was kicked out. Otherwise, Riddle wouldn't have got his award."

Ron tried a different tack.

"Riddle does sound like Percy – who asked him to squeal on Hagrid, anyway?"

"But the monster had killed someone, Ron," said Hermione.

"And Riddle was going to go back to some Muggle orphanage if they closed Hogwarts," said Harry. "I don't blame him for wanting to stay here. . . ."

"You met Hagrid down in Knockturn Alley, didn't you, Harry?" said Y/N.

"He was buying a Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent," said Harry quickly.

The four of them fell silent. After a long pause, Hermione voiced the most bizarre question of all in a hesitant voice.

"Do you think we should go and ask Hagrid about it all?"

"That'd be a cheerful visit," said Ron. "'Hello, Hagrid. Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?'"

In the end, they decided that they would not say anything to Hagrid unless there was another attack, and as more and more days went by with no whisper from the disembodied voice, they became hopeful that they would never need to talk to him about why he had been expelled. It was now nearly four months since Justin and Nearly Headless Nick had been Petrified, and nearly everybody seemed to think that the attacker, whoever it was, had retired for good. Peeves had finally got bored of his nasty song on Harry, the Hufflepuffs were no longer scared to approach any Slytherins, and in March several of the Mandrakes threw a loud and raucous party in greenhouse three. This made Professor Sprout very happy.

"The moment they start trying to move into each other's pots, we'll know they're fully mature," she told Y/N, "then we'll be able to revive those poor people in the Hospital Wing."