41 ; gryffindor vs slytherin

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 41

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Early that next morning, the Gryffindor trio approached their Slytherin friends in the Great Hall, with an air of grimness surrounding them. Hermione (friends once more with Ron) shakily handed Y/N a note.

She read it aloud:

Dear Hermione,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts.

Execution date to be fixed.

Beaky has enjoyed London.

I won't forget all the help you gave us.

Hagrid

"Oh, no!" gasped Daphne, snatching the note and reading it over again. "They lost? How could they have lost?"

"You know them," said Theodore, patting Daphne awkwardly on the back. "Mr. Malfoy has that old bunch of fools in the palm of his hand. He gets what he wants, and if it's a hippogriff's execution. . . ."

The safety measures imposed on the students since Black's second break-in made it impossible for the Gryffindor trio and Y/N to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. Their only chance of talking to him was during Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seemed numb with shock at the verdict.

"S'all my fault. Got all tongue-tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committees jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em. . . ."

"There's still the appeal," said Ron fiercely. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

"My step-father said he'll try and help the case," said Blaise quietly as he, Theodore, and Daphne walked alongside them. Hagrid looked at him in shocked surprise. "That is, if my mother doesn't drive him away before the appeal."

"R – really?" said Hagrid, sniffling slightly. "I – I didn' think –"

"That we'd help you?" Theodore said brightly. "'Course we will, there's at least a few good Slytherins. Can't say the same for Malfoy, though."

They were walking back up to the castle with the rest of the class. Ahead they could see Malfoy, who was walking with Crabbe and Goyle, and kept looking back, laughing derisively.

"S'no good, all of yeh," said Hagrid sadly as they reached the castle steps. "That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm just gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that. . . ."

Hagrid turned around and hurried back toward his cabin, his face buried in his handkerchief.

"Look at him blubber!"