3 ; the leaky cauldron ✔︎

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 1 : CHAPTER 3

Monica Grace arrived to number eight, Heathgate the next day at exactly eight a.m., while Y/N was tending to the garden with her mother and Hermione was sitting on the bench, reading. Anyone who came through the front door could clearly see them through the wide, door-shaped space, and Y/N had just finished transferring roses from the planter to the ground when Monica Grace cleared her throat loudly.

Y/N looked up sharply and smiled once she saw Mrs. Grace. "Hullo, Mrs. Grace. Is it eight o'clock already?"

Mrs. Grace nodded and tilted her head. It was unusual for a Muggle-born to actually believe they were magical (they usually thought it was a dream), but Mrs. Grace knew Y/N wasn't a, well, ordinary Muggle-born.

"I'll just get changed, now," said Y/N, standing and wiping her soil-covered hands on her trousers.

"No need for that," said Mrs. Grace. She pulled out a thin, dark brown stick – Y/N assumed it was a wand, and she couldn't be more correct. With a wave of her wand, Mrs. Grace muttered under her breath and a dim white light hit Y/N's clothes. A flowery sundress replaced her dirty clothes, and Y/N looked down, amazed.

"Woah!" she exclaimed. "How'd you do that?"

Mrs. Grace smiled.

"It's called the Switching Spell. You think about the two things you want to swap, picture them being in the place of one another, and say the incantation. Now, we ought to get going to London, shall we?" she said, putting away her wand. "I brought a car along with me, one that'll fit us all."

She turned and walked briskly through the house, black heels clicking, with Mrs. Granger, Hermione, and Y/N following her closely. Mr. Granger didn't know what to do, per usual, so he stuck to following his girls. She led the family out to a silver car and took the front seat, urging Mrs. Granger to take the passenger's seat as Mr. Granger sat in the – surprisingly large – backseats with his daughters. Mrs. Grace gave Y/N and Hermione their letters before starting the car and driving off.

"There is a list of everything you need for Hogwarts enclosed in your envelopes," she said to the girls, who opened their envelopes and unfolded a second piece of paper. Y/N read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags