Chapter 7

"Put it on," Xander said as they walked out of the door of the building, holding out a black raincoat.

Aurelia was met with a glorious sight of rain and snow as she took it and pulled it on over her black bodysuit. Her black boots that Nyx had given her before squelched on the wet floor as she stepped out, just to be met with an endless attack of rain.

Xander put his own raincoat on. "Laura, I didn't bring an extra."

Laureline rolled her eyes at the nickname. "'Kay. My clothes are water-proof anyway."

"Let's go."

They walked through the rain, Aurelia's neck bent to stop the rain from hitting her face.

"Where are we going anyway?" Aurelia asked.

"Your old house. No one would look there," Xander replied.

"Oh, right, how did I forget that - wait!" she gasped. "I-is David still there?"

Seeing Aurelia's frightened look out of the corner of his eye, Xander turned to face her. "No. But do you want me to kill him for you?"

Aurelia's dark green eyes widened and filled with even more fear, if possible. "N-no! No matter what he did, i-it isn't right to kill someone, Xander!"

"He tried to kill you."

"He was my best friend," Aurelia whispered, her tears blending with the rain.

But Xander still noticed. I swear... I'll kill him. The Hunter, he promised himself. Even without her permission... because he hurt my princess. "That doesn't excuse him for betraying you, Aurelia!"

"I'm sure he didn't mean to, Xander. He must have been... possessed o-or something!"

"Aurelia - "

"You're right..." Aurelia kept her gaze on the ground, remembering her thoughts from a few hours ago. "He is a traitor."

Xander was shocked, though he only let a little sliver of surprise stay in his expression.

"B-but..." Aurelia's voice faltered for a second. "I don't know what I should do. I want things to go back to how they were... but I don't think that would really help. Since, if he had planned to betray me from the very start, he would have done it sooner or later. The thing is, I also want to kill him... but I don't have the courage. I can't... I can't kill a person, Xander..."

Xander watched her worriedly as she spoke.

"And even if I can, I can't. Literally can't... I'm not strong enough. I'm not brave or lethal like you and Nyx. You're both so strong..." The tears were streaming faster down Aurelia's already-wet face.

Xander pressed his lips together as he watched the princess of the wolf-shifters cry. "When Queen Vayna was a princess, she was never like this."

Aurelia stopped crying, staring at him in shock.

"Xander!" Laurelyn, who had been quiet the whole time, snapped, hitting the side of his face. "You don't just say things like this."

"I'm sorry..." Xander said, his eyes wide. "I didn't mean to, I swear."

"It's fine," Aurelia said softly.

He winced. "I really am sorry."

"Shut up, idiot," Laurelyn said with a glare.

He bit his lip.

They trudged through the snow without talking for a while.

"When will we get there?" Aurelia asked, breaking the rhythm of boots against snow.