Five - Awkward..

FIVE

I woke up with a headache. The sun coming through my curtains was making it even worse.

Wait a second.

Why was I in my room? In my apartment? How did I get here?

The last thing I remembered was walking out of the hotel; nothing else.

There was a knock on my door, which made me let out a cry of pain from my headache becoming worse.

It was Drew. 

"Hey, are you okay?" He said, slowly.

"Yea, yea, I'm fine," there was a brief pause before I asked, "Um, what exactly happened last night?"

He chuckled, "Wow, you must not get drunk often."

"What's that supposed to mean? I told you, I can have fun."

"Okay, okay. So we left and you fell asleep."

"Really? I don't even remember being tired," I said, rubbing my temple.

"So now that the 'fun' has ended, we need to get back to wedding details," he said it like he was disgusted.

"Oh, come on, Drew, get over it," I said, wishing he could be on board with April and Malcom's wedding.

"I didn't say that I wasn't..." he said, unconvincingly.

I glared at him, but didn't feel like pushing the subject. His decision on marriage will always be the same. 

"Why do you think getting drunk is fun? I mean, it is, but there's other types of fun," I said, wanting to start a conversation.

He smirked and raised his eyebrows, "What kind of fun was on your mind?"

I brought my hands to cover my face, knowing what he meant. "No, no, no! Not that kind!"

He chuckled, "I bet, you seem too innocent."

"Too innocent for what?"

He groaned, "And so clueless."

"Okay, that I agree with, but innocent? Ha, not possible."

"Really? What have you done that wasn't innocent?" 

Right when I was about to say something from when I was a teenager, I thought about wrecking his car. What if I mentioned I was guilty for that? No, that's crazy. Besides I wasn't even guilty about that.

"There was a time when I was like eighteen, and started college," I said, trailing off thinking about it.

"Okay, go on," he said.

"Well, it was my first day and I made a hell of an impression," I said, raising my eyebrows. "April and I went to a party, and don't worry, your little sister was as angelic as she seemed. It was me who was a little devilish. Honestly, that's probably why I always stuck with her; she was such a good influence on me."

"Wow, I didn't know that," he said, furrowing his eyebrows. "You were actually devilish?"

I nodded my head and continued. "Well," I said extremely slow. "I drank a shit ton of beers which really wasn't on my agenda. April and I were just going to walk in and look cool, then just leave. One beer led to another and another and another. I really felt bad for April, though. She didn't have one because she's just so fucking responsible and smart. I really wish I was a lot like her."

I didn't even realize we were both sitting on the couch across from each other, with just the coffee table between us. 

"Anyway," I sighed, "There was this extremely hot guy. I don't remember much except that his name was Javier, and we talked a lot that night because April was really mad at me because we agreed not to drink, but of course I screwed everything up."

Drew's eyes went cold. I don't exactly know why, but I was starting to get scared.

"Uh, Drew? Is everything alright?"

He locked his jaw, and then answered, "Was this guy, Javier, tall, tan, had messy brown hair?"

"Yea, why? Do you know him?" I was well aware that Drew went to the same college, but I never saw him once. 

He nodded, looking away, after mumbling something.

I was immensely confused, and I wasn't in the mood to find answers right now, so I continued before I could get distracted again.

"Well, one thing led to another and we ended up having sex in some random room," I've never told anyone but April this, and realizing how stupid I was then makes me so embarassed now. I covered my face with my hands, hoping my blush would go away.

I shook my head, whispering, "So fucking stupid."

Drew came to sit next to me now, awkwardly patting my back. "Hey, it's okay, Mary."

I uncovered my hands from my face and sat still. 

"The same thing kind of happened to me," he said, smirking. "Except I wasn't drunk, but I really wish I was so I didn't have to remember everything."

"It was that bad?" I chuckled.

"No," he said, defensively. "It was just some slut and it's just not something I want to remember."

"Oh," I said. "Well, drinking seems to solve a lot, huh?"

"Yea, it does," he sighed. 

We were both comfortably reclining on the couch. The silence between us was too awkward for me to handle, and I didn't know what to do. I hoped desperately he would begin to say something, but we both stayed silent.

"Speaking of getting drunk...did you remember anything from last night?" he asked, curiously.

"Uh," I said thinking of something specific he must be talking about. 

Oh. He's probably talking about what he mentioned about his ex-girlfriend.

"No, nothing at all." I said, hoping it would convince him. 

"Good," he breathed with relief.

"Why? Is there anything I should have remembered or something...?"

I should be an actress, he's totally buying it.

He shrugged, "No, nothing at all."

Great, he's using my line. Since I already knew what he was talking about, I didn't push the subject further.

We both leaned forward trying to grab the binder, and ended up bumping heads. It hurts more than it sounds.

 "Ow," I said, rubbing my head. 

Instead, he chuckled saying, "You have a big head, ouch."

"My head is not big!" I defended.

"Okay," he said not believing me. 

I rolled my eyes, "Come on, Drew, it fits perfectly with my body, therefore my head is an average size."

Did I just give him an invitation to check me out? Or did he invite himself to?

Drew looked away to the binder, and stood up, fixing his jacket.

He cleared his throat, "So, um, I think I should get going now."

I stood up, "Alright." I walked him to the door and let him out.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Why were things starting to get awkward real fast between Drew and I? 

I shook the thought out of my mind. I reminded myself that this is the same Drew that made my life miserable during middle school.

But we're not in middle school anymore...

______________________________________________________

an update! yes!!!