Chapter one- The masquerade

I look around the room to see all the adults dancing around formally. I sigh and stared kicking my feet. You can not see them underneath this poofy dress. I sigh again before getting up, about to head to the desert table. As I take a step, I almost run into someone.

        I quickly put my head down because it might be a king from another nation. My family rule over the land of Nebaur. My older brother, Justin, being the heir. I'm am merely a second child. The second children of the royal families are meant to look as if we are strong, but the older child is stronger

      Every year each kingdom gets together for the kings to talk. Each king brings his family and some guards. This year, we host.

        I hear a light chuckle before a hand lifts up my chin. My eyes meet his ocean blue ones. He smiles and lets go of my chin.

        “Hello, kitten. Would you like to dance?” He asked with a smirk on his beautiful face.

        Growing up in the castle, the only boys I'm allowed to see are the servants or Justin. This man here is way more than any of them. Just wow.

        “Kitten, are we going to dance?” he asks me again. Where did he get kitten from?

        “Oh, um.. sure.”I take his hand and let him take me out to the middle of the floor. We take the dancing position and the music starts. I let him take the lead.

        “So, Mr....” I cut myself short because I didn't catch his name.

        “My name is none of your worries yet, kitten.”

        “Okay. So Mr. Mysterious, Why did you choose to dance with me? And why do you call me kitten?

        “I like you. I can see what you're like just by looking at you. And you remind me of a kitten. So soft and playful.” He chuckles again as he spins me out and back again.

        “How do you know that you like me? I was sitting down, like other people do.”

        “The way you were sitting there, kicking your feet back and forth, shows that you are young and free.” He gave an example.

        The song is almost over when he asks me a question. "Just by talking to you, I seem to like you even more. How about we meet up tonight? In your garden?"

        What harm could it do? "Yes. I will meet you there at midnight." The song ends too soon and he bows as I curtsy. I walk back over to my seat as he heads the opposite direction.

        I sit down for another couple songs, watching and wondering where the stranger went. I feel a tap on my back. I turn around just for it to be Justin. "Why, hello. May i have this dance with my lovely sister?" He asks.

        "You may." I giggle at the formality. We only use this type of speaking in front of other people. Me and my brother are close. We're like best friends instead of siblings. We rarely fight, but when we do, it doesn't take long before one caves. That's what happens when you grow up isolated. 

        I take his hand and I'm on the dance floor again. 

        "So, you having fun with all the second in line girls who just want to become queen throwing themselves at you?" I laugh as he sighs dramatically. 

        "Who wouldn't. oh, wait. I wouldn't." I laugh again as he joins in. "I think you have a line of princes waiting for your freedom of me so they can dance with you. All the kings and future kings just got of the meeting. How many have you danced with so far?"

        "One. One extremely hot, handsome stranger." I sigh. 

        "Stranger?  Did you not catch his name?" I shook my head. 

        The song ended as we were talking about who could or could not make it. He bowed and I curtsied. I walked off only to be asked to dance again by a prince from another kingdom. I was lead to the dance floor and we danced.

        The rest of the night, I danced with most of the princes and some of the kings who's sons wanted me for courtship. This is the first official outing I've been aloud to go to so I don't know any one here.

At the end of the night, my family stood at the door, saying our goodbye's and thanks for coming's. I didn't catch a glimpse of the stranger I first danced with. I also didn't dance with him again. If only I could have.