Act II : "You Should Leave"

Start from the beginning

"I'm sure he's fine," Drayden said as he rang the bell. Was Shohei's worry so obviously written across his features or was Drayden saying that to reassure himself?

No one opened the door.

Shohei reached out and rang the bell again, more insistently this time.

Still there was no answer.

Drayden took out a key from his pocket.

"You have a key to his place?" Shohei cried. "Why do you have a key to his place and I don't?" He almost stamped his foot, but managed to restrain himself.

"I'm his landlord, remember?" Drayden said drily as he bent to open the lock. It opened with a low click. "Come on."

The two walked into the familiar apartment and came face to face with the barrel of a gun.

"Holy fuck! You scared me!" Duante said in surprise, before letting out a sigh and, lowering the gun.

Drayden and Shohei were frozen in place as they stared at their friend, mouths agape. With a gun in one hand and a steel baton in the other, Duante stood in front of them, barefoot, in his pajamas and a long-sleeved T-shirt. His flushed face gave way to a blossoming dark bruise and his hair was messily falling around his shoulders. He looked slightly frightening and completely unkept.

Drayden was the first one to return to his senses. "What's wrong?"

Duante let out a laugh. "Nothing. I just... I thought someone was breaking in." He dropped the baton and used his free hand to grab onto the wall beside him. He seemed to having a lot of difficulty standing, alerting his friends to his lie.

"What's wrong?" Shohei asked again. He took a step towards Duante, who involuntarily took a step back, still holding onto the wall for support.

"I'm fine. You should go." Duante gestured at the door with the gun.

Shohei had never seen his friend like this - scared, bruised, crazed. He had no idea what to do or how to help.

Thankfully, Drayden was still composed. He walked up to Duante and pried the gun out of his fingers. He caught his arm and put it around his shoulder for support. Carefully, Drayden led him to the bedroom while Shohei followed behind.

The sight of the room chilled Shohei to his core. There were medicines, bandages and bloodied clothes littered all over the table and the bed. The wardrobe was flung open and all the clothes were carelessly strewn on the floor, while stacks of papers were lying all over the place. It was like a storm had blown through the room, leaving chaos and injury in its wake.

Drayden helped Duante sit on the bed and the latter immediately buried his face in his hands. "You should leave," he muttered.

Shohei had never felt so helpless. He went and knelt in front of Duante. "Talk to us." He said imploringly. From the corner of his eyes, he saw Drayden walk around the room, examining the papers that were strewn on the table.

Duante said nothing, and Shohei knew he was determined to keep this to himself, to deal with it in his own way. 

"Hey, Dua-dua..." Shohei lightly nudged him on his knee, "talk to your Sho-sho, will you?"

Duante chuckled in his palms before finally looking up. It was clear by his eyes that he had been crying. "I'm fine."

Shohei's gaze swept over a cut on his lower lip to the ugly bruise on his right cheek. Subconsciously, he raised a hand towards his face, then froze on realizing what he was doing. "Can I?" Shohei said instead of withdrawing his hand.