"That's okay." Mama said trailing his eyes and noting his reason. "Do I at least get you some tea? We're about having breakfast and I made some. They're hot." She said when he hesitated.

"No, Bahan. I am fine." He said with a wave of his hand and turned to Papa with a firm look. "Did Pavish tell you what she did yesterday? At the short period she requested to get something to eat?" He asked narrowing his eyes.

The baffled and confused look he got from Pavish's parents urged him on, they knew nothing.

"I have been good to you, haven't I, Bhai? I paid for all your treatments and treated you myself, Bahan, you were sick, life-threatening disease. You remember? Now to pay me back you agreed to the arranged marriage I proposed between my friend, my business partner and your daughter, you remember?" He asked towering over them like they were little children.

Tanu's face blanched and she turned sickly pale. She wasn't happy one bit with the news she was hearing and where it was heading. She squeezed the edge of her sari tightly till her knuckles turned white. She swallowed and fixed her glassy stare at Uncle Khan. Her eyes always went that way whenever she was terrified and hiding tears.

Papa stretched his hands to his wife and held her waist tightly. He knew how much she hated being reminded that they sold her daughter to save her life. He knew how much she hated Khan for doing that. Why not one of his daughters if his business partner was so precious? She always asked when the matter was brought up and refused to hear more.

Pavish groped around for a chair and crumbled on it. She managed to lift up her eyes to her parents and the miserable sight she saw made her eyes roll into her head. Her head felt suddenly light and her vision darkened. She pressed her palms to the side of her head and rocked herself on her heels.

"You remember. I am good, am I not? I didn't ask you to pay me back all the money I spent for the kidney transplant. I only asked for this union, and you accepted. It will secure your daughter's future. Muhkya Ravi is wealthy, he is chief only! He is fifty-five, but good catch. Pavish would live better life." He said. He almost spat the word "better" like they should understand things and worship him for his goodness.

On a different day, Pavish would have paid attention to the way he lacked the use of the article "a" but today she wished she could just die or cease to exist. Her beauty had long become a curse to her since the very day the Muhkya (chief) noticed it and wanted her. In truth, he had in fact been the one that paid her mother's bills to the doctor, Khan, her very own uncle, just so he could have Pavish.

"Now, Pavish is going around, hanging with men! She is now ripe for marriage and wants it eagerly too." He said turning around to look at Pavish with disdain.

"I spoke to the Muhkya last night," he continued. "He wants his bride. He said to hold the wedding in one month! We have one month to prepare! One month!" He said forcing cheer into his voice.

He gave a loud laughter spreading his hands out for the first time and throwing them in front of him happily.

"Wedding to big man in one month! Are you not happy??" He shouted in English throwing his hands up again and giving a loud laughter that echoed through the room feeling like slaps on the skin of the family.

Mama, the best pretender couldn't even produce a smile. She still stood like she was frozen on the spot with her sari still clutched tightly in her hand. Papa shifted his weight again and nodded.

"Ji, a wedding in a month." Papa said in Hindi and nodded like he had just consented to Pavish's death. He looked up at Khan, his expression grave and Khan stopped rejoicing and stared at his elder brother. He stood silent for a second and it seemed like a thin line of conscience touched him, then smiled devilishly again.