The Seduction of the Archeologist

Start from the beginning

The policeman's pen stopped moving, and he looked up from his notebook. The Titan remained perfectly blasé.

"And then?" Sergeant Prosaic asked.

"And then you arrived and..." The Titan gave out a sarcastic little cough. "Saved us. Have you apprehended them?" he asked, lazily running another nail into the coffin of the policeman's self-control.

"Their photos and descriptions have been distributed among the force," Sergeant Bromidic answered, pursing his lips.

The word 'persnickety' kept jumping into Petra's mind every time she thought of Sergeant Cooper. She had to congratulate Ms. Fox on her choice: the warm-blooded Mayor - with his wide smiles, squinting eyes, and his fluffy eyelashes - who most likely had inherited his Father's sense of humour, strength of character, and the naughty streak, was a much better match for the lovely Imogen Fox.

"Oh I see," the Titan drew out and turned to Petra. "Darling, I feel that we've detained Officer Cooper long enough. Perhaps, it's time we... repose."

Petra wanted to suggest his self-assurance to repose - but Sergeant Cooper had already jumped to his feet and was edging towards the exit, muttering something about the station, and 'signing the statement,' and 'tomorrow' - and especially 'at your convenience.' The Titan, it seemed, had forgotten about the third person in the room, and was now gazing at Petra, the corners of his slightly puckered lips curled up. Petra felt suddenly rather hot.

The door closed behind the policeman, and Petra looked askance at the Titan's long-fingered hand. His arm was stretched along the top of her balding sofa's back, so if he wanted he could touch her neck, he only needed to - literally - move one finger.

"Why do you have two rings?" she asked.

His left eyebrow jumped up.

"The singlet belonged to my grandfather. This?" He moved his ring finger. "This is my wedding band added to my late wife's family ring. She was fond of rubies. They became her."

"You kicked me out of your house earlier today," Petra said in a low voice.

The Titan looked down at his other hand, laying relaxed on his lap, and then nodded slowly.

"I didn't quite enjoy it," Petra added in a pointed tone. "I knew it would happen eventually, but still—"

"How did you know?" he asked softly.

"Well, you're— you're you." Petra shrugged. "Eventually, you remembered you didn't fancy having fun and enjoying the chaos that comes with having me around, and you decided to go back to having your orderly life and hiding your feelings, or not having them—" Petra choked on her words because he was leaning to her. "Not having feelings— You don't—"

His face was very close now, and a tender smile played in the corners of his - wonderful, skillful, magical - lips. An absurd thought that she'd missed him came to her. It'd only been a few hours... but it felt like eternity!

"—have feelings," Petra finished the sentence, the beginning of which she couldn't recall anymore, and swallowed a knot in her throat.

"I climbed a fence for you," he murmured.

She felt the tips of his warm fingers brush the skin at the back of her neck, and the small hair stood up on her nape.

"You— You did it for yourself," she continued to resist. "You've acquired the taste for— for nonsense, because you—"

"Because I met you," he purred. "You're right, darling." He pushed his hand into her curls, and goosebumps stampeded down her back. "I'm now addicted to nonsense," he whispered and placed a slow kiss on her jaw.