Chapter 28

Rowan's P.O.V.

"NOOOOOOO" I screamed as the rest of the arena gasped

I stood up from my seat and clenched my hands together in a fist, trying to keep control of my powers. Evangeline's sword was buried deep in Weston's stomach and his eyes were wide. I never saw this coming...no one did. There's nothing more that I want at this moment than to barge into that arena and send shards of ice piercing through every single person to make them feel the same pain my brother is feeling right now.

The cameras all throughout the arena zoom in on Weston as he opens his mouth to say something but quickly stops as silver blood drips out. Weston tenderly put a hand to his stomach where Evangeline's sword is and winced in pain once he touched the wound. His knees gave out on him and he crumpled to the ground. At this point, I'm more than just angry and it's taking everything in me not to lose it completely. I felt myself scream out Weston's name, which caused Maven to jump up from his seat and rush over to me.

"Rowan just calm down, everything will be ok"

"How can you say that!?" My voice was shaky and I felt the tears starting to form, "My brother has a sword sticking out of him, he's going to die. I-I have to do something, there has to be some way to save him. Where are the healers? Please just do something!"

"No one will be able to get through fast enough, I can't do anything as long as that shield is up,"  Maven said the panic in his eyes evident

The sound of lightning crackling caught Maven and I's attention, and both of our heads snapped to the arena. Weston was lying motionless on the ground with his eyes staring at the lightning shield, ever unblinking. My brother is gone and there's nothing I can do to bring him back. Another bolt of lightning caused me to tear my attention away from Weston and instead focus on Mare. My eyes narrowed as lightning erupted from her hands and shocked Arven until he was unconscious. Sparks began flying all throughout the arena and the crowd began to yell in an uproar

"I thought you said..." I trailed off turning to face Maven "YOU LIED TO ME"

Maven told me that her lightning was fake, that it was a trick. He lied to everyone, to Weston, to me. 

I felt my anger shift towards Mare as she continued to shoot her lightning out. It should have been her that died, not my brother. Weston didn't deserve this. He was supposed to be the head of House Thronton, he had so much life ahead of him. I not only lost my brother, I lost the closest person to me. 

"Kill her. KILL HER!" Maven began yelling completely in a panic, "SHOOT HER!"

Soon every gun was aimed at Mare, but the bullets disintegrated almost instantly after hitting the electric shield. That shield was supposed to protect all of us, but now it's the only thing standing in my way.

"Enough" I grit my teeth and took my dress in my hands

If no one else can kill Mare I'll have to do it myself. She's the reason that Weston is dead. Everyone has failed to bring her to justice, but I won't. Not after all of the things she's taken from me.

I rushed past Maven and threw open the curtain, blocking out the footsteps coming right behind me.  I was running as fast as I could through the halls while trying not to step on my dress. I heard Maven calling after me but I was not going to stop, not even for him. The last thing I needed was to trip on the fabric of this dress. I felt the temperature drop and with every step, my determination grew. 

I saw the door to the arena fast approaching and I sped up, ready to take on Mare once and for all. Snow began to swirl around my hands and I took a deep breath. However, I felt a hand grab me and pull me backward. I stumbled a bit and put my hands out to catch myself. I closed my eyes and was pulled into a familiar warm embrace.

"Maven let me go!" I struggled against his grasp

"Rowan stop it," He tightened his arms that were wrapped around me "Please just calm down and let me explain"

"You lied to me. H-how could you" My voice quivered "I trusted you and now Weston is dead"

"Let me take you somewhere better and-"

"NO" I shouted cutting him off, "You betrayed me just like Mare and Cal. How on earth do you expect me to trust you again!?"

"I understand how you must be feeling but I can-"

"Just let go of me" I grit my teeth and desperately tried to yank my arms out from under Maven's

I didn't want to hurt him, but right now he's one of the many things stopping me from getting to Mare. I'm so sick and tired of everyone and I wish I could just let all my anger out.

"I'm not going to let you get yourself killed going up against her" Maven's voice was filled with so many emotions

I closed my eyes tight, it felt my whole world is just collapsing and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

"I just want this to end" I whispered as a tear slid down my cheek

"I know" Maven sighed "Mother is going to take care of everything. Now if I let you go, do you promise you'll come with me?"

"I just want to be alone" I sniffed and Maven's eyes softened "I thought you loved me, but everything was just a lie. Wasn't it?"

"How can you believe that? I love you with all my heart Rowan, and absolutely nothing can change that. You mean everything to me and I can't live without you. Finally, you're by my side and I'm not going to lose you after I worked so hard."

"W-what are you talking about?" I wiped the remaining tears from my eyes

"Soon all of our problems will be solved and we can be together just like I always planned" Maven cupped my cheek and gave it a gentle kiss "Now, come with me, please"

I feel so lost. Nothing makes sense anymore and I don't know what to do. Part of me is still holding onto the familiar warmth of Maven. He always knows the perfect thing to say to comfort me. I love him and I wish that it wouldn't have to be so complicated between us. I wish that everything was simple, like back when we were younger before Mare or the Scarlett Guard came along. 

I just nodded, no words could describe how I'm feeling right now. There's no harm in going with Maven. Maybe he will help me forget all the pain and anger I've never felt until now. I just want to get lost in the moment with him, while all my problems drift away in the wind.

I hadn't been paying much attention to where he was taking me until the cool evening breeze hit my skin. He had brought me to the gardens, our favorite place to go when we were younger.

"This is the moment where everything clicked in my mind" Maven whispered, his warm breath sending shivers down my spine, "The moment I realized I loved you"