Chapter 1

Queenstrial had finally arrived. Of course, there was no reason to be nervous because my Mother and Queen Elara had already made plans for me to marry Cal...I mean Tiberias. My Mother is always on my case for not calling the crown prince by his real name. Cal was a nickname I had given him since we were little and it just stuck. All I had to do was showcase my powers and then at the end King Tiberias would announce that I had been chosen. I was the 1st female heir of one of the most powerful silver family's beside the Calore's. In Queen Elara's mind, it made perfect sense to arrange a marriage between me and the oldest Calore brother. All of the Thornton's before me had always been boy's so when my Mother had the 1st ever female Thornton everyone knew that something special was bound to happen. And it ended up that my twin brother Weston would take over my father's position as the head of house Thornton, while I would become the queen of Norta and marry Cal. Like all of the other Thornton's before me, I was a shiver. I could manipulate ice and could even freeze someone's blood. It had always been ironic to me that I became such good friends with the Calore brothers since our abilities were the complete opposite. Ever since childhood, Maven, Cal and I would play with each other almost every day. Not much has changed since. I still spend almost every moment with the Calore brothers either relaxing, training, or just teasing them about random things.

My maids had dressed me in a white gown with little sparkly snowflakes to symbolize my shiver abilities. They had also put my hair in a long braid to the side and weaved some white ribbon into the braid. Once I was ready I made my way to the spiral garden and took my place at the Thornton table next to my brother. Weston gave me a curt nod to show his support and my Mother smiled at me showing her approval of my appearance. To the left of our table was House Samos. Evangeline had been another one of my best friends for almost as long as the Calore brothers. She could be a bit cunning sometimes, but she had always seemed to value our friendship. She had been chosen to marry Prince Maven in advance as well. That meant that we would be sisters, and I was excited, to say the least. Evangeline and I made eye contact and we smiled at each other knowing that this would mark the day we became the official royalty of Norta.

I watched the servants bustle around the tables and serve the drinks. Once all of the houses were settled. King Tiberias and Queen Elara entered briskly with their shoulders set and straight.

Everyone greeted King Tiberias with the royal motto, "Strength. Power"

The spiral garden was filled with the voices from all of the silver houses chanting. 

"Today we honor tradition, the rite of Queenstrial is to bring forth the most talented daughter to wed the most noble son. In this, we find strength, to bind the High Houses, and power, to ensure Silver rule until the end of days, to defeat our enemies, on the borders, and within them." King Tiberias announced to the crowd

"The time has come once again to uphold this ideal, and both my sons honor our most solemn custom" He gestured with his hand towards Maven and Cal who stepped forward 

"Prince Maven, of House Calore and Merandus, son of my royal wife, Queen Elara

Maven raised his hand in stern greeting. Maven had confided in me that he despises this pageantry. I could tell by the expression on his face that he was absolutely miserable. He had a small smile, but I noticed that it didn't reach his eyes. I was one of the few people who had seen Maven truly smile, and this was nothing like it.

"And the crown prince of House Calore and Jacos, son of my late wife, the Queen Coriane, heir to the kingdom of Norta and the Burning Crown, Tiberias the Seventh."

Cal smiled and waved at the crowd, the complete opposite of Maven. Queenstrial was all that Cal had been talking nonstop about how excited he was about finally being crowned King and that there was no one else he would rather have as his Queen than me.