Chapter 11

Mare's P.O.V. 

A week had passed since I began living a lie here at the palace. I had gone from a lowly red to a fake princess named Mareena Titanos. The only people who knew were Cal, Maven, King Tiberias, and Queen Elara. I felt bad lying to Rowan seeing as we had become close recently, but I knew that I could never tell her. Throughout my stay at the castle, I had begun taking lessons with Julian Jacos, the late Queens brother. He had begun teaching me about my ability and explained to me that I was "new blood". Basically a red with special abilities that no silver can possess. He had also warned me not to give my full trust to the silvers seeing as anyone can betray anyone.

After hours of staring at my clock, waiting for midnight, I begin to grow impatient. I had recently joined the Scarlet guard during my visit home. The whole purpose was for me to protect Kilorn, but now it seemed like I was heading for the same fate as Shade. Death. However, when the clock strikes midnight, I feel nothing for the first time since Queenstrial.No cameras, no electricity, nothing. The power is completely out. I've been in blackouts before, too many to count, but this is different. This isn't an accident. This is for me.

I move quickly and head for the door. I'm barely out in the hallway before I hear my maid Walsh whisper in my ear, "We don't have much time," 

Even though it's pitch-black she knows where we're going "They'll have the power back on in fifteen minutes if we're lucky." 

"And if we aren't?" I ask in the darkness. 

She hustles me down the stairs and through an open door. "Then I hope you're not too attached to your head."

As I enter the room I look up and am met with a glass roof revealing tons of stars. I realize that we're in the conservatory. A few figures emerge from the darkness, all wearing red scarves. As my eyes adjust I take in the image of Farley standing across from me, a new scar visible on her neck. 

"Farley" I nod my head in greeting

A new figure emerges from behind her. However, he isn't a servant. He's not even red

"Maven?" I said my eyes widening

Maven is silver, he's a crown prince for god''s sake. Why would he be here with Farley and the Scarlet Guard?

"I want to hear it from your lips, little prince. Tell me." Farley steps towards him, her pistol in hand

Maven grimaced at Farley's nickname, but he speaks nevertheless"I want to join the Guard "

Farley then raises the pistol so it is pressed against his forehead, "Why?"

"Because this world is wrong. What my brother will do is wrong." Even with a gun to his head, Maven manages to speak calmly

However, Farley doesn't pull away. She's still waiting for a better answer.

"When my father sent me and Cal to the warfront I met a red soldier named Thomas. He treated me like my own person, not just stuck in my brother's shadow. He was my second real friend and I watched him die. I could've saved him, but my guards held me back. His life wasn't worth mine, they said." Maven said clenching his fist

"Who was your first?" Farley asks

Maven furrowed his brows not understanding her question.

"Who was your first friend before Thomas?" She clarified

"Rowan" Maven said reluctantly

It was as though he didn't want to say her name in fear that he would put her in harm's way.

"Rowan?" Farley sneered "You mean Rowan Thornton. Cal's betrothed, and the future Queen of Norta"

Maven nodded growing more confident with every word, "Rowan was supposed to be my betrothed. MY Queen. We could have changed the world together, but Cal got her first. In everyone else's eyes, Cal is perfect, so why couldn't I be the same? But not in Rowan's."

Farley sniffs, almost laughing at him. "I have no use for jealous little boys."

"I wish that it was jealousy that drove me here. Cal calls this the balance, Silver over Red. He's a good person, and he'll be a just ruler, but he doesn't think change is worth the cost...Rowan does" Maven said his eyes meeting mine

After a moment of silence, Farley finally lowered the gun. "Swear on your colors," she growls at him.

"I swear on my colors," Maven says, dipping his head. "I pledge myself to the ScarletGuard."

"Welcome to the Scarlet Guard," Farley says a look of determination on her face

"What are you willing to do for us?" She asks

"I can give you information, intelligence, whatever you might need," Maven says

"What we need are names, locations, and targets." Farley sighs "Can you do that?"

"I would prefer a less hostile path," Maven said as he shifts around clearly uncomfortable

"The bombings are just away to get attention. Once we have it, we need something to show them."

"Like what?" I ask

"I think you'll do quite nicely." Farley smirks "A Silver prince turning against his crown, a Red girl with abilities. What will people say, when they see you standing with us?"

"When do we start?" Maven asks the eagerness in his voice apparent

"Walsh tells me there's going to be a little party here," Farley says gesturing at my maid

"the ball" I whisper

 I felt the room temperature drop significantly and Maven's eyes went wide. It almost looked as if he mouthed the words "run" to someone in the distance.

No one else, however, seemed to notice and Farley nodded her head in approval.

"Remember, For Rowan," Farley said 

"For Rowan" Maven whispered