Games from the heavens

Chapter 11: Games from the heavens.

We stayed on the horse for what seemed like ages.

I had only rode on horses once or twice during a primary school trip and I had wanted to continue but 1. I was living too far away from a center to learn and 2. I wouldn't have been able to continue as I went to secondary and high school.

Now that I was currently riding one more time I quickly realized why I still wouldn't have liked it : it hurt your butt a lot.
Anyway, we quickly caught up to the group that had left before us and rode out of the palace to go inside the city. I could see Tatum Marcus smiling when the horse galloped faster and I held tighter around his waist but I didn't say anything, if he thought he had won and proved that I was a coward, he was wrong.

The first thing that hit me as we entered the city, and left the gates that protected the palace, was the noise. Also, people were everywhere and it seemed difficult not to walk over anyone. People yelled, talked, screamed. The noise level was so loud I could feel my ear drums beating in my head.

I nearly fell off the horse a few times, as people pushed around and tried to walk past us. We were still moving in a group, the Emperor in the middle with the rest of his generals and advisors around him like a human barrier.
Tatum and I were a little bit behind with the less important soldiers. We were moving as a line but the roman people moved around so much that we formed more of a wave.
Twice, I lost my balance and nearly fell off but each time Tatum Marcus caught me and pulled me back behind him. Once we reached a quieter place, he turned around to the closest soldier in our line.

"Hey, mind taking her for a while ?" He asked and the soldier nodded.

"Who are you talking about?" I asked, curious but when Tatum got off his horse and attached it to the nearest hook I understood that I was the one that was switching driver.

Tatum gestured for me to stand up and he forced the two horses to get closer. I got off, nearly fell on my butt but stood up.
"Grab the lead and pull yourself up. I'll grab your foot and push you up at the same time. Then lift your leg that's the closest to the horse and swing it across the seat."

"What if I fall?"

"I'm here. And there's also him" he said as he pointed toward the smiling soldier who was sitting on the horse.

I shrugged and did as Tatum instructed. I grabbed the lead and pulled myself up. I felt Tatum's hands placed under my foot and lifted me up. I let out a small scream and lifted my leg up, swing it across and sat perfectly on the seat. I was in front of the soldier.

"Would it be better if she sat with her two legs on one side ?"

"I don't know... If we get attacked and need to run away, it'll be the easiest way to run without her falling down. She may be psychic but she isn't very.... Skilled" Tatum finally said.

"HEY!" I yelled but Tatum had already turned around and got back on his horse.

The soldier behind me chuckled and directed the horse to follow the rest of the group.
It was better to ride in front than behind. The soldier was still holding onto the lead but his arms were around me and I didn't fall once. I also had a better view on the streets and the people in front of me.

Most of them stared and gave me nasty glances. Some spat on the ground as I smiled to them.

"They're not used to see female soldiers. Normally, women are at home, cooking or taking care of the children. The few women who did become soldiers usually never make it back home. They never see much female soldiers anyway, those usually stay inside the palace to protect the queen or women"