12 | Chocolate

"I need a, I need a
Sweet escape
Compliments to your mother,
know how to treatagood woman
My holiday
Youchanged up the weather,
makin' everythingbetter" 
- Kiana Lede

"I need a, I need a Sweet escape Compliments to your mother, know how to treat a good woman My holiday You changed up the weather, makin' everything better"  - Kiana Lede

"So when I was your age I started living with my dad and my sister's mom, Ms. Debra. Ms. Debra didn't really know how to do hair so I just never got my hair done unless I happened to be spending the weekend with my grandma. My dad eventually bought me a bunch of hair stuff and I'd spend all night in my room watching YouTube videos on my computer so I could learn how to do my hair." I told Brae as we worked on making breakfast together.

Gabe is still asleep, and I'm not going to interrupt him. He rarely gets a full night of sleep. Whenever he gets into his thoughts or is overwhelming himself with work he neglects sleep. I can't even imagine how he's been doing over the past few years, especially with a baby in the picture. As much as I try to not keep feeling guilty about the past I can't stop thinking about how much would be different if I just waited and heard him out. I keep thinking about what would've happened if Lisa never approached me that day and Gabe was to just came home with a newborn baby. What would I have done?

"Do I have to do my hair?"

"No. I'll do it for you now. All the time. You always look pretty, but when your hair is done it's another level and I always want you to feel like that. Take the cup of buttermilk and pour it into the mixing bowl, please." She smiled, eager to help me out in the kitchen as she's been doing all morning.

It's only been a couple days, but it's good having Braelynn around. Children are so pure, and they soak up everything. Brae also seems to always be genuinely happy to be around me too and that makes me feel good. I showed her the button to turn on the mixer and she held her head close, watching as everything blended together in the bowl.

"Can we have fruit too?" She asked as I poured the mix into the waffle maker. We're making waffles and a veggie scramble.

"Yes. I have some mangos that we can peel and cut up."

"Mangos are daddy's favorite." She stated, bringing a smile to my face since I know how obsessed he is with them.

"Oh, I know. We used to go grocery shopping then drive down to the fruit farm so we could get a box of fresh mangos. He'd even pick them himself. That's how particular he was about his mangos." Her eyes widened and I started laughing.

"Y'all in here talking about me?" I looked over to see Gabe walking in fully dressed with a face towel over his head.

"Daddy, you be in the farms?" He looked over at me and I sent him a quick wink before turning my attention back to making the waffles.

"I haven't been in a while, but that's where you get the tastiest and freshest fruits and vegetables from."

"I can go?"