Chapter 19: Destiny

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

"It is up upmost importance, Caroline." Loki decided. "My child can impossibly see his first light on this planet."

He took my hands in his. I didn't understand, not a word, I couldn't leave. "I don't want to go to Asgard. I want to go home."

The look in his eyes confirmed to me that he didn't understand. His eyes revealed confusion, and a faint hint of frustration. "My dear Caroline, home is not a place - "

"You cannot go back. You told me yourself that you're in exile here - "

"I am not in exile." Loki interrupted me, almost offended. "I will be pardoned."

"You will be? As in, it hasn't happened yet?" I scoffed. "This is speculation."

"Bold words, Caroline. I appreciate your honesty, as much as I would appreciate you not underestimating my mind."

His face turned condescending and offended, he tried hard hiding it.

"What?" My stomach churned. "Loki, what's your play?"

We continued staring at each other in silence, with my impatience and his discomfort growing. He turned away, but I grasped his arm, satisfied with how I could hold him back. At least, a little.

"You need not worry. Leave the politics to me."

Another punch in my gut. I worried much, feared, I couldn't breathe. Loki thought I underestimated him, when in reality, I believed every word. If Loki said he would make it happen, he could. Tears shot into my eyes and my grasp around his wirst tightened, which he sensed.

"Please, no." His voice became soothing, his face softened. Truly amazing, all the emotions Loki could produce, just to be cold as ice in the next moment. It wasn't fake, not at all.

"You will have another while on your Earth, no one can tell how long it will take. Enjoy these days, I will not stand in your way, but then - we leave."

I knew Loki well enough, he had decided, there was no room for discussion. He had heard me out, but at the end of the day, he did what he thought was right. Which was what made him dangerous. Once again, I felt powerless. I was the strongest I'd ever been and yet closer to break down than ever.

Loki didn't lie when he said he would take care of politics. During the time he 'gifted' me here, he left a lot. It couldn't be Asgard, he'd be locked away the moment he set foot there. When I asked him about his whereabouts, he clarified that he had a contact person for correspondence with the Crown. His honesty surprised me, until I realized there was probably a lot more going on. He would never tell me the dark parts of his journeys, and I hoped he didn't hurt anyone for passage to Asgard. He had done enough damage already.

Once he was away, I went to the balcony. My body required fresh air, it had been locked up in this house for so long. It was so wonderful, it made me touch my belly immediately. I was slowly losing track of time in this mansion, it was anything but healthy for my crippled mind. We would sometimes go for a walk through the woods, no one could stay inside for so long.

Leaving the mansion without him - what a thought. I had never attempted to, and we both knew well that he forbade it. There was no need for him to say the words. Loki trusted that I wouldn't run - where would I go, anyway? I felt disconnected from mankind.

Trust is good, however, control was better.

I couldn't see the outside world properly, the force field was blurring everything. It was colorless and transparent, but nevertheless visible. It formed a dome over the mansion and separated the forest from our clearing. The beach and a good meter of sea water were included.