Chapter 4: Hypnos

(Tom's P.O.V.)

The work didn't wait. Right after I arrived in England, I was brought to the set, they made me Captain James Nicholls. I had to shoot the first scene. I was depressed and tired. Tired from the flight, depressed from leaving Caroline, my acting was terrible. Loki would've known what to do.

When I was supposed to say  'I'm sorry'  to the guy portraying Albert, I accidentally said  'I love you'.

Yes, no kidding. Everyone on the set, including the director and the extras laughed their asses off. I blushed a deep red, tried to hide my embarrassment. I imagined Loki scoffing at me somewhere far, far away.

"Tom, what's wrong with you, my friend?"  Steven asked me, still grinning. I was so honoured to work with someone like Steven Spielberg, the one and only, and found it even more embarrassing to fail him. I didn't know what to say.

"Okay, we'll take a short break! Everyone, be ready to shoot in 15 minutes!"  He shouted and then turned back to me, waiting for my answer.

"I'm so sorry, it's just... very hard to get used to all this, especially being away from my wife. I know what I am doing is unprofessional, please forgive me."  I confessed, taking off my cap and looking down into his eyes.

"I am sure she is well and awaiting you. And your acting is not rubbish, you just have to concentrate a litte more. Besides, imagine how proud your wife will be onces she sees how talented you are?" 

I thought about what he said and came to the conclusion that he was absolutely right. We hadn't even properly started, and I already could not wait showing our film to Caroline.

"You're right. I have to do it for her. Let's do it again."   I answered determinedly, shining with new confidence and motivation.

"Now that's the actor I chose!"  Steven laughed and patted my shoulder before disappearing behind the cameras.

"War Horse, scene 13, take 2!"

---

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

That night, I went to bed alone.

It was too cold and too empty to be comfortable. I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked spreading all across the bed like a starfish. I never had a double bed. But this was a different kind of 'empty'.
Every now and then, I would reach out to feel Tom's back, to stroke his hair, but he was nowhere to be found.

Loneliness was everywhere, and fear. Without Tom holding me throughout the night I felt more vulnerable and unprotected than ever. I missed the way I would always feel him next to me to dissipate the nightmares and the cold. I didn't get them from time to time, I guess people like me were predestined.

But what was missing the most was his scent. He didn't have too much clothing, and that which he had, he had taken with him. I felt bad about asking for a shirt from Loki, so I didn't. But truth was, they did smell the same.

Knowing that I had to get used to his absence, I tried hard not to succumb to this lovesickness. I tried to sleep, I had to go to work the next day. Not wanting to disappoint my new boss I forced myself to stop crying and my eyes shut.

But nightmares haunted me the whole night.

I didn't count how many times I woke up. Probably after the third or fourth time I surrendered, it was already 5 a.m. I had to get up anyway after an hour or so.

Eventually I got up and collected my things, such as my mobile phone, my purse and this little employee ID card I got after my job interview. Taking a long and warm shower, I tried to relax my nerves and my spirit so my workmates wouldn't think I was too emotionally labile. Not yet.