fifteen.

I dip my legs into the pool in Harlow's backyard. Next to me, Harlow and Jack lay parallel to each other in only their bathing suits, letting the warm sun soak over them.

Since everything went down, Jack has been like my big brother. He checks in constantly and always knows how to cheer me up.

"Why is life so shitty?" Harlow complains.

"Come on, Corbyn's an idiot. You deserve better, anyway," Jack says. He lets out a smoky breath from his vape.

Harlow swats at the smoke. "Can you not?"

"Maybe it was for the best," I say, watch my feet swing back and forth in the water. "This is the prime of our lives. Why would we wanna be tied down?"

"It's not about being tied down. It's about having a constant stream of attention," Harlow argues.

I let out a chuckle. As good of a friend as she is, Harlow can be the slightest bit shallow sometimes.

"I know, I miss Dan—" I stop. I still can't say his name. "I miss him, too."

"Guys suck," Jack says sympathetically.

"Ditto," Harlow agrees.

We sit in an awkward silence. The mood between Harlow and I has been weird ever since my boyfriend convinced her boyfriend to cheat on her. I don't think she blames me, but she seems to be having a hard time dealing with losing Corbyn. I hadn't realized how close they actually were.

"So, my dad comes home tomorrow..." I say, trying to break the silence.

"Oh, yeah! That's so exciting," Harlow says, her frown disappearing. Even with everything going on, I know she's genuinely excited for me.

"If you guys want to, I'd really like it if you would be there to welcome him home."

"Yeah, of course," Harlow replies immediately.

"I'd love to," Jack says, taking another hit from his vape.

"Thanks, guys. I just can't believe he's finally coming home. Always worrying, not seeing him everyday... It's all over."

"I'm so happy for you, Asp," Harlow congratulates me. "At least one of us won't be depressed."

"Aww, come here." I lean over and wrap Harlow in a hug.

After a few moments, Harlow sits up. "I know you're distracting yourself with your dad coming home, but how are you?"

"I'm fine," I lie unconvincingly. Both Harlow and Jack stare back, not believing me. "Well, how do you think I'm doing? Everyone warned me about him, and he turned out to be a jerk just like you said. Go ahead, say 'I told you so.'"

"I told you so," Harlow murmurs. Jack hits her arm. "Ouch!"

She hits him back. "Seriously, dude?" Jack asks.

"She's right. I was a complete idiot," I sigh.

"You weren't an idiot. Daniel's just— How do I say it?" Jack pauses to think. "He's not good with people. He pushes them away. He did a shitty thing, but he's a good guy."

"So you think I should get back together with him?" I ask, confused.

"Absolutely not!" Harlow scowls.

"No, no, no. He definitely needs to learn his lesson. I just think he needs to grow up. Corbyn, too," Jack clarifies.

"That's for sure," Harlow mutters.

"You know, what?" I say. "I'm over it. I'm not going to sit here and cry when I'm finally getting my dad back."

"You're right, Asp," Harlow says. She picks up the water bottle that sits next to her and raises it in the air. "To Aspen's dad."