two.

After sitting through two hours of Friday afternoon traffic, I finally arrive at LAU. My eyes widen, and my mouth gapes open as I drive through the elegant gates to campus. Above me, a metal sign is emblazoned with golden letters spelling out Los Angeles University.

As I pull up to the dorms, I see Harlow waving madly. I park quickly, and jump out of my car. I run around the front of my car and jump into Harlow's arms. Both of us are squealing loudly, screaming how much we missed each other.

"I can't believe you're actually here! We're going to have so much fun!" Harlow exclaims.

"I'm so excited! Who knew this place was so beautiful?" I reply. I can't stop looking around. The buildings look modern yet cozy, some with smooth, white walls and others covered entirely in windows.

"Come on, let's take your stuff upstairs. We've got a lot to do this weekend." Harlow grabs a large, pink suitcase out of my trunk. She struggles to pull it out on her own, so I run over to help out. We manage to get the suitcase out with an exasperated sigh.

"Thanks. You're the best," I huff.

"What the hell is in here? You're staying for like two days," Harlow teases.

"I need options. I can't have people looking at me like some dumb high schooler. I've got to fit in."

Harlow rolls her eyes. "Whatever, Princess. But you're carrying it upstairs."

I struggle to pull the suitcase behind me. Harlow walks briskly past me toward the dorm building. She is unsympathetic to my overpacking problem.

Once we get to Harlow's room, I'm shocked again. Her room looks like it came straight out of a Pottery Barn catalog.

The walls are painted in a beautiful cream tone. Even with small twin beds, the room is almost as gorgeous as my room back home. Both beds have matching puffy, white comforters, each with an array of both decorative and memory foam pillows. String lights hang on the wall behind Harlow's bed. On a night table next to the bed, I spot photos of Harlow's family and one of our last trip to the beach before Harlow came to LAU.

"Holy crap, this is amazing! I thought dorms were supposed to be small and disgusting," I say.

"I know, right. These buildings are barely five years old. They're basically brand new," explains Harlow.

"I can already imagine living here. God, I want to get in so badly."

"Come on, if I can do it, anyone can," Harlow jokes. "Besides, it should be easier now that you don't have volleyball to focus on."

"This whole college thing is just so stressful. I'm so ready for high school to be over, but the 'getting there' part is so much work," I whine.

"Welcome to the real world, hun."

"Anyway, what's the plan for today?" I ask excitedly.

"First, campus tour. I'm gonna show you all the hotspots. Then, we can grab some take-out and have a movie night. My roommate Ashley is gone for the weekend, so we can make ourselves comfortable. You can take her bed tonight, too."

"No parties?" I whine.

"We'll do parties tomorrow. Tonight, I need to catch up with my bestie."

Harlow embraces me tightly, almost suffocating me. I jokingly push back, and we girls have a laughing fit. Boy, did they miss each other.

•••

"So, that's where my bio class is. And that's where I made out with the hot guy from bio after class."