Chapter 4 - Rich Boy

"No, no, no," he mumbled and dumped his head into his hands.

"I'm sorry," Polly told him quickly and rubbed his head. "I was joking. I thought it would make the entire thing less awkward. Sorry."

Nathaniel hugged her tightly from his chair and she squeaked in pain, but he didn't release her from his death grip. Slowly, she relaxed and hugged him back warmly. After a couple seconds of their awkward embrace, he gradually lessened the strength he exerted and instead embraced her gently, with one hand on her back and the other in her hair.

"Don't scare me like that," he chastised.

"Sorry," was her mumbled reply into his shoulder. Apparently satisfied with her answer, he released her and sat back in his chair. "Did you get your arm fixed?" She saw the open wound and glared at him. He smiled sheepishly. "You're getting stitches."

"Yes, ma'am."

Then Vanessa hurried forward to embrace her just as hard as Nathaniel had. Every ounce of pressure sent pain shooting through her skull, especially when Bill hit her on the back in a manly way.

"Are you feeling better?" Vanessa asked her as Bill put Polly's suitcase on the ground by the foot of the bed.

"A little," she told them, stretching the truth more than a little. She didn't nod for fear of the pain that it would bring to her poor, abused head.

"That's great to hear," Vanessa exclaimed and hugged Polly once again. Her head resumed its painful pounding on her cranium. "You guys will be back on your way to wherever in no time at all."

Polly glanced over at Nathaniel. He must have sensed the question she was asking about their purpose for their trip because he shook his head. He didn't told them anything about where they were going. She definitely wouldn't endanger their lives if he hadn't already told them.

"Yeah," she smiled at her. Her mind wracked for something to change the subject with. "The car! Nathaniel, did you dad pick up the car? Is there a place around here we can rent another one at?"

He scratched his head in embarrassment. "I actually haven't been out of the hospital to look around. Dad did send a text that the car was picked up, but I have no idea if there's another car company around. It seemed wrong to leave you when... you know, I was the one who caused the accident."

"Really?" she scoffed. "Are you gonna start throwing yourself a pity party now? Can I bring the balloons?"

"I'm being serious!" he exclaimed.

"And so am I," she snarled back at him. Vanessa and Bill glanced at each other before excusing themselves. That was good; it made it easier for them to be honest. "This accident was because of those masked guys, not you. You are the reason I'm still alive. If you hadn't gotten the car under control, we would both be dead."

"And if I hadn't asked you on this trip you wouldn't have even been in this accident!"

She scoffed. "Do you really think that? They probably would have attacked me at my house if I didn't head out to the City!"

"Don't be so stubborn!" he yelled.

"Right back at you!"

At this point, she was pushing up from the bed to get in his face and he was leaning over her, irritation etched on his face. Her gaze fell down to his lips and she realized how close together they were. She flushed and fell back onto the bed so they were further apart. He must have realized from her reaction their proximity for he too jumped backwards with a light flush to his face. They looked over from each other before she cleared her throat.