Ephemeral Nights (I)

Start from the beginning

His eyes searched my own, whilst his hand came back up to trace my cheek. "Well, wouldn't that be a spectacle," he murmured, bending down so that he was eye level with me. "A nice distraction too, hm? We could make it a little event."

I arched a brow at his agreement, a part of me expecting him to argue.

Ah, he really has changed so much since-

"Come watch the Alpha and Luna beat the shit out of each other for no fuckin reason," he continued, his eyes narrowing as his voice took on a flatter tone. "Fuck no."

My face fell.

I guess not then.

"You're no fun," I mumbled, and he rolled his eyes again.

"A spar between you and I is not fun."

"Yes it is!"

"I could hurt you."

"I can dodge, y'know?" I answered pointedly.

His eyes narrowed. "No, Alexandria."

"But I want to see how much I've progressed!"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"I said please, Livius. I never say please."

"No."

I groaned, my shoulders slumping in dismay. But Livius only pinched my cheek, that easy smile returning to his face.

"Sore loser," he sang again, his eyes alight with amusement.

The scowl returned to my face. "I hate you," I mumbled under my breath and he visibly paused.

I didn't have time to react when he rested both of his hands on the arm rest and bent down so that his lips hovered just inches from my own, those cerulean eyes sharing a thousand unreadable words.

"What was that?" he asked, and when I pressed my lips together in a thin line, his eyes followed the movement. "Would you perhaps like a repeat of what happened earlier?"

My scowl only deepened and I pursed my lips. "It depends," I purred, humoring him while my hands slid over his shoulders, my eyes drifting away from him to give attention to the action.

His body went rigid beneath my touch, his muscles tensing as he clenched his jaw. "Get off my chair."

"No."

"Off, Alexandria."

I spun around in his chair, kicking my feet up so they wouldn't get in the way. "Again, I don't take orders from you."

His eyes darkened at that, the smallest spark burning through his cerulean gaze as he gave me a smile that made my entire body flush. My mate's hands came down on the armrest once more, stopping my childish spin. "Oh?"

Raising my chin, I met his gaze, my own lips quirking up in defiance as I leaned forward to brush my lips against his own in a teasing kiss. "You heard me," I whispered.

Livius grinned, a feral glint swirling in his eyes as he moved to lean forward only for a knock to sound at the door.

He growled in frustration, and pulled away to glance back at the entrance to his office, his gaze narrowed as I laughed.

A moment later, he was striding away from me, my lips tugging up in amusement as he tore the door open and pinned his churning gaze on the female at his door.

The poor maid immediately dropped her head, her legs trembling as she fell into a quick bow before tentatively extending a bundle of clothes to my mate. "T-the garments you requested, Your Majesty."