Ch 29 ~ Matters of the Heart

Start from the beginning

The movement prompts me to notice his attire; once again consisting of a casual tunic of deep green with sprawling golden embroidery adorning the sleeves. Studying that embroidery for a quick moment, I suddenly realize why it seemed so familiar every time I saw him wearing it. Springing from my chair, I hurry into my bedroom and snatch up the blanket that sits folded on my bed, examining the golden thread woven into it. Sure enough, the color and inscriptions match the Prince's. Soft footsteps tread over the threshold behind me as Legolas follows me into the room.

I hear the hitch of his breath when he notices the blanket I study in my hands.

"I was wondering what happened to that," he murmurs softly, crossing the room to me and running a hand along the velvet material in my arms. His eyes meet my own. "You kept it for an entire month?"

"It was yours?" My voice comes out breathless. I have to lift my chin to hold his gaze as he stands nearly a head above me in our close proximity.

That blanket he had given me the night my brothers arrived... I had thought it was just a spare.

For a moment he is silent, something like pain flickering in his eyes, but then he nods, his throat bobbing slightly. "My mother made it for me when I was a child." He pauses, the shadow of a smile tugging at his lips. "She was a seamstress before she was a queen."

A pang of guilt runs through me. Of course, I had heard the tragedy that had befallen the Queen of Mirkwood, everyone in both Rivendell and Lothlórien had. But I had never thought to consider the sorrow that might still haunt her son, even centuries after her passing.

I gaze up at him in pity and confusion, the blanket still draped over one arm.

"But why would you lend me something so personal?" I breathe, studying his eyes as they study mine. "I was no more than a stranger at the time."

I let out a sharp breath, dropping my gaze and pulling away from him. "One who had nearly killed you."

His hand suddenly catches my arm before I can turn away, drawing me back toward him. Pure honesty flickers in his eyes as I meet his gentle gaze. "I couldn't let you stay in the cold."

I feel a twinge in my chest at those simple words, at the kindness revealed in them. I can't help the small smile that arises to my face at the warmth that now spreads through my body. A light flush colors my cheeks but I don't try to hide it. I barely notice when the blanket drops from my arms as I slightly raise a hand to the arm at his side, softly brushing my fingers along the sleeve of his tunic.

"Did your mother make this too?" I whisper softly, barely a sound escaping from my lips.

His gaze doesn't leave my face as my wandering fingers trickle down to his palm, brushing against the calluses there, and his fingers slowly fold over my own, engulfing my hand in warmth. "Yes."

His eyes spark in the fading light, the little flecks of gold scattered amidst the bright blue flickering like quiet embers as he holds my gaze. I feel the warmth of his hand settle lightly on the curve of my waist, gently tugging me ever-so-slightly closer to him. My heart jumps in my chest, its erratic pulse rendering me breathless as another blush heats my face. We're so close now, only a few inches apart, and yet, this time, I do not pull away from him. The warmth of his hand leaves my own as his fingers come up to my face to cup my cheek, sensually grazing the sloping line of my cheekbone. I let myself lean into his touch, a light shiver running down my spine, my eyelids fluttering with the sensation. And as his head dips slightly down to mine, I let my body betray me to my heart, tugging me toward him, toward his lips as his fingers slip under my chin, tenderly lifting my mouth to his-

The door to my bedroom slams open.

I jump out of Legolas' touch as Varissë comes running in, her single plait of copper hair flying behind her.

"My Lady!" she cries between catching her breath in quiet gasps. Her freckled face is flushed, but her eyes are wide as they flit between Legolas and me. Her shock tells me enough about how much she saw happen between the two of us.

"I- I'm sorry if I've interrupted anything, my Lady," she stutters, crimson staining her pale cheeks. She bobs a quick curtsey to Legolas. "Your Highness."

I quickly shake my head to hide my discomfort, and composing myself quickly, make my way over to her side. "What is it, Varissë?"

She still gapes at me slightly, as if processing the entire scene she had just walked in on, but then her eyes clear and her mouth sets into a grim line.

"My Lady, the King sent me to fetch you at once. Word has come from Rivendell. From your brothers."

I feel my heart drop in my chest. Even if I hadn't yet heard the news, I can't help but fear for the worst.

Every thought of an early departure and my situation with the Prince flies out of my mind as my entire focus centers on one thing.

Mother.

Meeting her hazel eyes, I command, "Take me to him, straightaway."

She nods and smoothing down her apron and dress, makes her way out of the doors, my own steps hurrying to follow her. And as though some whisper reminds me, I stop at the entrance to my rooms, turning back to glance at the Prince I had left waiting behind me. Yet where Legolas and I had been standing in my bedroom moments ago, empty space now greets me. He had somehow vanished, slipped away as I talked to Varissë.

My brow narrows in confusion as I contemplate what had almost happened between us before she had arrived, and what he would be thinking-

So many thoughts swirled in my mind, clouding my vision, but I couldn't ponder on any of that now.

Word had come from home.

My brothers... my mother....

Spinning on my heel, I follow my maid through the doors.