Chapter 1: Passerine

Start from the beginning

And before you ask no I wasn't in no kind of trouble with the law. My mother died 2 months ago and we had to have a court hearing so it could be approved for Aunt V to have custody over me but it didn't turn out that way.  Right when the judge was about to let me stay with Aunt V, in walks my mysterious Great Aunt Janice with 5 lawyers ready to make a case that she was a more fit guardian. I guess aunt V felt intimidated because she wasted no time telling the judge to let Janice take me. She didn't even try to fight for me, it was like she personally packed my bags herself and through me to her.

Before I knew it tears were running down my face, I cant believe I let myself get worked up like this. Mom would be so disappointed in me showing signs of the weakness. I am not weak I can handle anything. I wiped the tears away and remembered what my mom taught me, how to control my breathing. It teaches us how to remain calm in tough situations so our emotions cant get out of hand.

"And were here" aunt v says. She pulled up into the parkway and stopped until we made it to the stairs that lead to the big double doors. I assume was the entrance. I went to open my door when Aunt V stopped me by locking her car doors. "I got you something Cristal" she says not looking towards me. She kept her head down with her arms still placed on the streel wheel. 

She relaxed her shoulders than reached over me into the glove department pulling out a small white box with a red bow wrapped around it. "Your mom said to give you this when you turned 18 but since were in these different circumstances I thought 17 was a good enough birthday than any" she says slightly smiling as she hands it to me. 

My birthday was 3 days ago but I wasn't planning on celebrating this year. This would be my first birthday without her and it just doesn't feel the same. we wouldn't do much for my birthday anyway since we could never leave the house but we made the best of it. Aunt v would come over with cake and ice cream. Her, mom and I would just have game and movies night all in one.

I removed the box from her hands and put it in my bookbag. "Ill open it later" I say just before opening the door. Before I could get up from my seat aunt v grabbed my wrist extra hard.

"Cristal, there are things we should've talk to you about. There is a reason why your mom never told you about her family and why she kept you under hiding'

"Hiding?" I say pinching my eyebrows. Just when I was about to ask more questions Aunt Janice pulled me from the car giving me a strong bear hug. I would've given her a hug back but I was slightly uncomfortable due to the tall men behind her. 

"Oh Cristal your here!" Aunt Janice says putting her palms to my face "Sweetheart you look just like your mother did at your age"

"its nice to meet you again Ms. Janice"

"tuh" I could hear aunt v say from inside the car.

Janice looked me up and down examining my body then gripped both my arms. "you are just perfect" she says making smile. "Your going to do just fine for what I have instore for you"

"Oh really, what would that be?"

"In due time hun, in due time" she says with a smile. 

Janice looks at aunt V than proceeds to say "Thanks for playing chauffeur Vanessa but your presence is no longer needed" she warps her arm around my shoulder her and leads me towards the house before I could say goodbye to Aunt V.

"Grab her bag please" Janice tells one of the men who were waiting for us at the door. I looked him up and down and stepped away from him. I don't know this dude so why would I trust him with my stuff. 

"Its okay Cristal, he works here its his job to serve on us" Janice informs me but I still didn't let him take it. 

"I hope your hungry, I have the chef cooking us a fabulous middle eastern dish that is to die for" Janice says.

"im starving" I say. "it was a very long car ride"

"well your going to love this, lets get you settled in first than you'll meet me out in the garden for dinner"

"Alright" I say

we finally made it to the door and the doormen opened it up for us. As soon as I stepped inside it was like something unbelievable. This place really was incredible. it made where me and my mom was living seem like a shoe box. I can understand why Janice stays here but I think its too much for one person. hell its too much for the both of us. 

***

"now that you've seen the whole house let me show where you'll being staying" Janice says taking a right into another hall way and going up the stairs leading to 2 white double doors with purple squares on it. She looked at me and nudge her head towards the door indicating she wanted me to open it.

 She looked at me and nudge her head towards the door indicating she wanted me to open it

I looked around for a little bit in amazement. Every one of these rooms she showed me was huge I felt like I need a map for each one of them. Not to mention she has servants all over the house for everything. She doesn't do anything for her self she has a person for each job. I guess if you have the money for it than why not hire someone to do all your work.  At least I can have this place to myself and its purple, it reminds me of my bed room back at home. 

"So what do you think? Do you like it?" Janice asks me

"yeah I do. its Purple" I say to her

she chuckles than fans me off and takes a seat at the end of the bed "I know you do dear Purple is your favorite color and it was also the color of your last bedroom" she says with a smile.

My face frowns up at the sound of her voice. How did she know what my room look like? She saw the look on my face and let out another laugh. "I'm only kidding dear you were suppose to laugh"

"right" I said unsure

"Here ill let you freshen up and when your done come meet me in the garden for dinner" she says than leave me be.

She wasn't so bad so far but something about her wasn't sitting right. One things for sure Ill have to keep my guard up around her. And I didn't forget what Aunt V said to me. What did she mean by hiding?

Well I better get started. I don't want Janice waiting on me for too long. 

***