Chapter 1: Passerine

"So your going to ignore me the whole car ride?"

I just stared out the window looking at the people we pasted by. One person however caught my eye as we came to the red light. He was dressed in a dirty old white beater with ripped up shorts that hanged low from his waist and came to the middle of his calf muscle. His arms was covered in tattoos and so was his neck. He looked angry, and his body language gave the stay away from me vibes. 

He was yelling into the phone but I couldn't hear what he was saying.  I can honestly say I'm glad to not be on the other end of that phone call. He must of been some street tough who sell things through the night. My mom told me about people like that. she said to stay clear from them.

"Cristal, at some point your going to have to say something"

We drove into the next line that eventually became a turning lane. I looked towards the street signs to see what city we where entering. The sign reads Passerine but it was crossed out and written over with red ink, that reads 

"Underworld" I say with a low whisper

"What you say Cristal?" Aunt V askes me. 

I blew my breath out of frustration, I cant tell you how many times she called my name. 

"Cristal?"

I looked at her with a stank face and rolled my eyes "why you keep talking to me obviously I don't want to speak to you"

"hold on little girl, now I know you upset but you speak to me with respect at all times" she says catching a attituded as if I'm in the wrong.

"You know what Aunt V, your a punk, your weak, and your a liar. Your just the type of people my mom takes about. Just someone who's looking to stab me in the back at the worst time. No wonder why mom never trusted people. I cant believe she put her trust in someone like you. Your Pathetic" 

 I could tell what I said got to her, that attitude she caught a second ago was gone and nothing but sadness was written all over her face. 

I started to feel bad about what I said. I was just so upset with her but my mom taught me better than that. She always told me to control my angry and never give in to someone's negative energy no matter how mad I was. Remain calm and be kind cause my kindness will kill on its own.

"I'm sorry Cristal, I didn't mean to let you down and I wasn't trying to hurt you but I didn't have a choice" she pleads

I laugh to myself smirking and shaking my head "there's always a choice Aunt V, and you choose wrong"

"Look I love you Cristal, I do I really do but its things happening that you wont understand right now. And trust me I am doing my best to make things right. All I need you to do is tough this out for a little while. Then hopefully we could get you on the path to having a normal life"

My smirk quickly faded away as I took  a deep breath "I think we both know its to late for a normal life"  

I went back to starring outside the window admiring all the buildings being light up at night. I never been this close to the outside before. my mom had me on a pretty tight leash. The only time we went into the city was when we had to get groceries and even than she wouldn't let me go every time. I had to stay locked away in our house, I haven't even had conversations with other people besides her and Aunt V. My mom let no one but Aunt V visit, she wouldn't even let me go to school I had to be home schooled and she was my teacher. I probably wouldn't even know how to interact with other people if Aunt V never came over.

Welp all that is over now.

This was my first time in Passerine but Aunt V and my mom used to live here when they were younger. There were nothing but large big brick houses that looked like they could hold massive amounts of families. This only reminded me that my time with Aunt V was coming to an end. I was about to enter my new life without the only family I have left. I was going to go live with my Great Aunt Janice who I just recently met. I didn't even know she existed until she showed up at my court hearing.