"Well hey, if you decide to leave and move out in a year, you won't have to deal with that again," he scoffed, glancing away.

Though his comment was nonchalant... there was a strain of tension in his face. Plus, I wasn't sure what to think of his words. They felt kind of out of nowhere. "Yeah... if I decide to leave after my lease is up. Like I said, I don't know yet."

"Right, yeah, I know," he brushed it off.

For how many awkward moments we have dodged... for some reason, this was not one of them – and I didn't know why. Hell, I wasn't even sure why it felt awkward to begin with. But despite his casual smile, his eyes had trouble returning to mine. It wasn't that noticeable, but... I could tell there was something on his mind.

After a moment of silence, he finally caught my eyes across from him, and they filled with sweetness. It was like that weird moment never happened. That sudden heaviness vanished and the teasing fun air returned.

"Oh, earlier today, I had a shipment come in. One of the biggest orders I've made in a while actually. Anyway, I had to clear out all the expired chips from the shelves if you want any," he offered, trying to swallow his amused smirk. He knew damn well what my answer would be.

"Yeah? You think I eat expired food?" I asked, cocking a brow.

"Food can still be good after it expires, Ruth."

"Then what's the point of an expiration date?" I challenged, loving these fun little fights.

"It's important, but it doesn't mean stuff is rotten the second it's technically expired." Straightening up, showing his bulky build more, a small smile relaxed on his lips. "Some day, I'm going to make you eat bread after it expires... and guess what, it will taste the same."

"Oh yeah? Well, good luck mister, you are going to need it," I bit my lip flirtatiously.

Eyes scanning over my face, he made a point to step back and away, leaning against the back counter now instead. "It will be easy – and I can't wait to rub it in your face when I succeed."

We went back and forth, over small stupid stuff like that, for a little while. It was always nice, having light-hearted chats like that with him. But all the while... that small weird moment didn't leave my mind. Why did he bring that up? About me leaving after my lease was up? He asked about it not long ago, but still, it was strange. Renewing my lease was forever away and not something I had time to think about.

Regardless, if that wasn't what was on his mind, it was clear something was. Though we kept up our teasing and playful talk, I was aware he was almost... cautious. He also spaced out in thought a few times too. I tried not over-analyzing anything though. For all I knew, he was just having an off day.

After he got a few costumers, and received some phone calls, I figured I'd leave him be. However, just as I was about to leave, I said, "Hey, you still coming by later to grab those paintings?"

"Oh, I forget to tell you. Something came up, I'm sorry."

"That's fine, no big deal."

And it was no big deal. Until later.

Later that day, I noticed Blake got home from work... at a normal time... and stayed home. There was zero indication that 'something came up.'

I kept waiting for him to leave or someone to come over... but that didn't happen. Maybe he just wasn't in the mood to come over? Maybe something unrelated to me was going on and he just wanted to stay home? I really didn't know – and I had to remind myself several times it was none of my damn business. It was difficult, not constantly glancing out my damn living room window. The last thing I wanted was to be like all my other nosy neighbors. Then again, I wasn't exactly being nosy if I was worried.