Even though they both know Jackson couldn't have mentioned this until now, the sentiment is still there. "I'm sorry, I know it's big news."

"Big news? This is fucking DIVINE! How dare you keep this from me!"

"Okay, okay, I get it. Sorry. I'm sorry." Jackson laughs when Caleb pretends to faint and he has to catch him in his arms. "But seriously, I am sorry. About everything. How can I make it up to you?"

"Oh I think you already did," Caleb says slyly, looking up from where Jackson holds him above ground. He blows a kiss and then stands up straight. "If you need forgiveness, then I forgive you. You said some really shitty things. But I did, too. So we'll call it even and move on."

Caleb hugs Jackson and it's so different than what he's been used to that he has to remind himself to breathe.

"Are we still on for your birthday tradition tomorrow?" Jackson asks, his voice muffled by Caleb's sweaty shirt. He feels Caleb's chuckle in his chest.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

"And is your girlfriend coming?" Jackson asks cheekily.

"Fuck," Caleb says, stepping back with wide eyes. "I forgot to tell you. I was going to, I swear, but I got so caught up in the whole sugar daddy thing―"

"Wes is not my sugar daddy!"

"―that I forgot. I'm sorry." Caleb smiles, and it's not happy or sad or angry, but just an honest smile of friendship that stands the tests of time, it's a smile that gives freely, a million times over. "But no, we'll do our own thing. This is for us."

"For us," Jackson echoes with a smile that reflects Caleb's.

They stare into each other's eyes for a few moments, lost to the joys of letting go of the past and embracing the future with pure intentions.

"Are you sure we're not dating?" Caleb asks, grinning. He slings his training bag over his shoulder. "If you're still unsure, join me in the shower." With a wink he walks towards the locker rooms.

"Be careful what you wish for," Jackson says, failing to sound mischievous but not really caring because he's got his best friend back, and nothing is impossible.

To love is to die.

But to love is also to live.

It just took Jackson's whole world falling apart to realize that.

☆★☆

The bell dings lightly when Jackson opens the door to the diner. It's shabby looking on the outside, a white block of a building, with cracks in the plaster and a dirtied, graffitied sign that spells Moonlight Diner in purple cursive. Inside, though, reveals itself like a chest full of treasure, with glossy red booth cushions and seats, the walls crammed with framed pictures of celebrity visits, and a juke box in pristine condition plays some jazzy tune.

"Hello boys!" An older woman with dark red hair and an apron tightly wrapped around her waist approaches them with a bright red smile. "Table for two?"

"Yes," Jackson says warmly, his gratefulness for this actually happening extending even to a complete stranger. Caleb stands behind him, jittery like a child impatiently waiting to get on Space Mountain. "Calm down, freak."

"Hey, it's my birthday!" Caleb protests, pouting. "You have to be nice to me."

"That was me being nice."

"Okay, right this way, please." They follow the red haired woman to a booth, sliding in opposite each other and taking the menus from her.

"Thank you," Jackson says. Caleb's already avidly searching the menu. "I don't know why you look over the menu every time when you always get the same thing."

"You never know," Caleb shoots back, sticking his tongue out but putting his menu down anyway. They've come here since freshman year for Caleb's birthday and since then it's been deemed a sacred tradition.

The waitress comes around again, asking if they want to order.

"Yes," Caleb says, eager to lay down his classic order. "I'd like a cup of coffee, extra cream and extra sugar, please. And the buttermilk pancakes with extra whipped cream. Please."

She looks at Jackson expectantly.

"No," Caleb says before Jackson can speak. "We're going halfsies. He's my date. We're really in love. I'm not gay but I'm his best friend and his therapist said friends are like relationships so here we are, on a date."

Jackson rolls his eyes, but fails to stop a smile. "Sorry, he gets really excited on his birthday. I'm already scared to give him more sugar."

The waitress laughs heartily. "Oh, he's a dear. And that's quite right. Lovers come and go, but friends are forever, as my Ma has always said, bless her soul." She hurries off to send in our order.

"Freak," Jackson says when she's out of earshot.

"We both know who's the freak here," Caleb says, smiling suggestively. "You have a lot to tell me, don't you? Because if what Hunter once told me is true―and no, I will not tell you what it was―you like it a little rough in bed, don't you?"

"We're not talking about my sex life," Jackson says flatly.

"Freak," Caleb whispers.

"If you keep this up," Jackson says, then lowering to a whisper, "I'll have to punish you."

Caleb shrieks and Jackson slaps his arm when heads turn and it's perfect, it's everything, and yet, in the back of his mind a familiar silence creeps on him like a deadly frost.