42|| Explanations and Hesitations

The first thing I registered was the weird feeling of someone’s gaze burning into the side of my face. I squinted my eyes to peek through the light shining directly into my orbs, my pupils probably the size of a pencil dot on paper.

I groaned and tugged the blanket higher over my body, covering my face and sighing in relief. Sadly, it only lasted for a couple of seconds, as it was suddenly ripped clean off of me.

“What the-”

“You don’t get to go back to sleep.”

I blinked blearily to clear out the blurry view and came face to face with Leah lying propped up on her side with a flat look on her face.

“I’m hungover, babe. I can’t deal with this headache right now,” I whined as I rested an arm over my eyes, blocking as much of that dreaded light out. It honestly didn’t help that much.

“Aly, I got you water and painkillers.”

Peeking to see if that was true, I let out a huge sigh and hefted myself upright to take the pills and glass she got from the bedside table. Her hazels watched me intently as I gulped it down and only spoke when I finished my water.

“What do you – how are you feeling?” she cut herself off.

It was then I registered the sensation in my lower abdomen. “Like I drank two damn litres of something, and my bladder is about to burst.” Looking around, I realised I recognised the room. “Are we at Gia’s place?”

“Yeah, she let Zach and us spend the night.”

“Okay. I’m going to the bathroom real quick.”

With that, I got out of bed without looking back, dashing to the connected bathroom, and relieving myself. When I was done with my business, I came out of the room to see Leah sat up against the headboard as she waited for my return.

“Wait, did her parents see me like this? Her mom would kill me…”

“No, we’re clear for now.”

“Alright.” I sighed in relief and joined her back in bed, settling on the blankets. However, I noticed she was looking at me with this crease between her brows, and so I decided to ask. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

My girlfriend didn’t reply right away. Her tense jaw clenched even tighter before she gathered her words. “Do you… do you remember what happened last night?”

I tilted my head as my mind automatically went to work to recall the most recent memory from yesterday. Leah’s narrowed eyes watched me carefully.

Pushing through the fogginess of waking up and the throbbing headache that was slowly subsiding, one specific memory from last night came to mind and I couldn’t help my eyes from widening as I cupped my hands over my forehead.

“Oh my god. Holy fuck. I can’t believe I actually did it…”

“Yeah, I guess you did…”

Before she could continue talking, the door opened to reveal my red-headed best friend on the other side.

“She up yet?”

“Yup,” I heard my girlfriend reply, popping the ‘p’.

“And does she remember…?”

I chose to groan out a reply myself. “Yes, I do.”

“Oof.”

Nodding in agreement to her sentiment, I looked up and gripped the sheets for some stability, hoping I’d be able to grasp my reality soon. Just the mere thought of what I did kept dunking me back into a state of disbelief.