36|| Vibes and Goals

I felt the tingle of nerves at my fingertips as thoughts of the big event later today drifted around. The quarterfinals.

Oh man, I felt like my heart was about to burst.

I didn't even notice my right leg bouncing until I felt a hand land on top of it under the table that paused its movement.

"Lyssa, you alright?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Just a tad- a little nervous about tonight."

Leah squeezed my thigh comfortingly and leant to whisper teasingly in my ear. "Well stop biting your lip like that. I can't tell how much longer I'm able to stand to see that without pouncing on you."

I immediately flushed and stopped the unconscious lip biting. She was getting bold with me in the presence of others.

Looking around just in case if anyone noticed her flirtatious words, I turned and shook my head at her humorously as she pulled her hand away to steal a fry from my tray with a cheeky smile on her face.

"Fry-stealer," I huffed with a mock frown. Her smile just grew wider.

I saw her eyes flicker down to my lips and for a second, I thought she was going to lean in and touch them with hers in the middle of the cafeteria. But she broke eye contact and went back to eating from her lunch. "You'll do fine tonight. I'm going to be there as moral support. In fact, everyone is coming to support you, right guys?" the blonde addressed the rest of the table.

Gia, Zach, Ash, Riley and Sara were all sat there with us near the back of the cafeteria. The two of my closest and best friends were quick to positively affirm Leah's sentiment, while Zach nudged my shoulder from my other side, giving me a warm smile and a nod.

Riley, however, spoke up with regret in her tone. "Sorry Aly, I don't think I'll be able to make it. I have a bio test I gotta make up for after school. And since it's an away game, I'll probably only get there by the time it ends."

"It's okay, Riley," I smiled, understanding.

"I'll be there cheering you on," Sara chipped in.

"Thanks, guys." My heart warmed at the amount of love I was getting from them, especially with something that meant a lot to me.

We went back to eating and chatting about random things. The rehearsals for the school play that Gia and Leah were in, Ash's basketball drama in the team, Sara and her 'thing' with a new boy, and so on. As I looked around, I noticed Zach was occasionally glancing to the other side of the table, where Riley and Ash were getting cuddly and couple-y like usual. I would catch him doing this often, but this time, I saw his gaze wasn't one of longing anymore. Something was different.

"You okay?" I decided to ask him.

The sandy-haired boy snapped his attention to me, confused. "Yeah? Why wouldn't I be?" My eyes flickered to the couple sitting across from us to indicate what I was referring to and he caught on. He shook his head and chuckled when he realised. "Oh, no. I'm good."

"You sure?" I said, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm over it. It's all fine now." Although his lopsided smile was playful, I could tell he meant it.

"What changed?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "I know I'm never going to have a chance. The only thing for me to do is move on. And I did." He leaned closer to whisper so only I could hear. "Besides, I found someone else."

I pulled away and blinked in surprise. "Wait, really? Who!"

"Not telling just get."

"What! Aww, come on. Does he go here?"