Enemies to Friends to Lovers

"I don't need any bodyguards," Laxus scoffed. "Go be someone else's groupies."

"Hmm, well suit yourself then," Freed shrugged, before turning to leave. "Even skilled wizards like yourself need people to rely on once in a while. If you change your mind, let me know."

"Pfft who does that guy think he is?" Laxus grumbled once Freed was out of earshot. "I don't need some conceded guy like that following me around. A weakling like him would just slow me down."

Laxus continued on his way. Suddenly, he heard something. About a dozen members of a dark guild emerged from the cover of the trees and ambushed the lone dragon slayer. Laxus smirked, ready for the challenge. "Bring it on!" He taunted. He was a skilled wizard who could easily hold his own in a fight.

But he hadn't noticed the dark guild wizard sneaking up behind him. That is, until he heard a scream. Once he had an opening to turn around, he did so and saw his would-be attacker writhing and covered in runes.

"I thought I told you to get lost," Laxus grumbled upon realising that the man who had just saved his ass was the same person he had dismissed as a weakling earlier. Huh maybe there's more to this guy than I thought.

"Yes and that wasn't very wise of you, was it?"

"Smartass. Are you here to mock me or are you here to take out some dark guild scum?"

Freed answered the question with actions instead of words. Fighting side by side, the two men subdued all of their attackers and turned them over to the authorities.

"I need a drink!" Laxus declared.

"I believe there's a pub nearby. Let us go celebrate our victory - my treat," Freed smiled.

Laxus hated to admit that he had been wrong about this man, but he never said no to free drinks. After a couple of hours of conversation and enough drinks for him to start feeling the effects of the alcohol, Laxus finally gave in. "So um... when do I get to meet this team of yours?" he asked. And thus the Thunder Legion was formed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I call a toast! To five years of being a kick-ass team!" Bickslow cheered. His "babies" chanted, "Toast! Toast!" in support.

"And to Laxus, who we will follow forever," Freed added, raising his glass.

"Nah," Laxus interjected. Raising his own glass he offered, "To Freed! For being the real backbone of this team."

"Cheers to that," Evergreen raised her glass as well.

"Cheers!" Bickslow agreed, and his babies mimicked their master.

A blush formed on Freed's cheeks and he downed his drink.

As the night went on and the alcohol set in, Evergreen and then Bickslow went back to their own homes, leaving Freed and Laxus alone.

"Maybe I should get going too," Freed said, looking out the window at the pitch dark sky.

"Or you can just stay over," Laxus suggested. Realizing how it may have sounded and noticing the unexpectedly happy look on the other man's face he added, "Eh I just mean... why not, right? It's dark and you had quite a bit to drink. There's not enough room here for a lot of people to spend the night, but one person is no problem."

"Ah yes that makes sense. Thank you for your hospitality."

"You don't need to be so formal!" Laxus laughed. "We're friends."

"Yeah. Friends."

"Huh? What's wrong?"

"Oh n-nothing! I was just thinking that we've been friends for a long time. And you didn't like me very much at first, did you?" Freed chuckled nervously.

"It's not that I didn't like you," Laxus replied, earning a skeptical look from Freed. "Okay fine yeah I didn't like you very much."

"Well what changed your mind?" Freed laughed.

"Huh well at first I thought you were just some fanboy weakling. But when I saw you in action against that dark guild I knew I had misjudged you. You're actually pretty awesome."

"Laxus!" Freed was overcome with joy.

"Why are you so happy about something like that?" Laxus muttered, the blood rising to his cheeks.

"I think highly of your opinion," he shrugged.

"How can you say things like that so casually?" The dragon slayer mumbled.

"I guess I just feel comfortable around you."

The words made Laxus' heart pound. "You really mean that?" He asked quietly.

"Yeah." After a pause he asked, "Hey Laxus?"

"What's up?"

"I hope this won't make you think badly of me... but there's something I feel like I need to get off my chest," he started. He took a deep breath before continuing. "I like you, Laxus."

"Huh? Yeah I like you too."

"No... not like that."

"Wait you mean-?"

"Yeah. Sorry."

"You don't have to apologize for something like that."

"Don't I? We've been friends for years and now I drop this on you and expect nothing to change."

"Change doesn't have to be bad ya know."

"Huh?"

"I um... damn this is hard!" Laxus exclaimed. He sighed, "I wouldn't mind a change in our relationship."

"What kind of change are you proposing?"

Laxus had always been better with actions than words, so instead of a verbal answer he grabbed Freed's shoulders and pulled him in for a kiss.

A/N: This one put me way behind schedule. Writer's block hit me like a truck. But I finally finished it!