But there was no mistaking the anger she felt at being left out of the loop regarding Liam's sudden change of residency arrangements at St. Barnabas. She wanted to get answers from Harry, who now eyed her with a look of exhaustion on his face.

He still wore the usual immaculate suits he wore but today, he looked tired. She often wondered whether the man slept at all.

"I know why you're here," Harry said, beckoning her to take a seat in front of him. "And you must believe that I have my reasons for doing it."

"Well, what are they, Harry? What reasons could there be for you not to even inform me of the decision to make such a change?"

She slowly sat down, her back to the glass wall behind her, her back stiff in attention. "You couldn't even afford me the courtesy of a phone call."

You made me look like a fool, she wanted to add, but stopped herself.

Harry's jaw tightened. He glanced at something behind her, some random employee probably walking past before turning his attention back to Alexa. "I'm sorry for not informing you, Alexa. It's been a difficult time here. We were in the middle of an operation and I'm afraid I forgot."

"You forgot," Alexa repeated. Slowly she got up from her chair and stepped forward towards Harry who had remained seated. She leaned forward, her fingers gripping the edge of the table. "You still think I'm a child, don't you, Harry? You still see me as that nineteen-year old girl who you picked up in Moscow. Well, that girl has grown up, and she's a mother now, too. A mother who loves her son more than anything else in this world, in case you've forgotten since you're too busy saving the world."

Harry's lips tightened into a straight line but he kept his response to the topic at hand. "Liam needs to grow up, Alexa. He needs to be with children his own age, with his peers, and with people who can support him."

"Support him? You don't think I can support him? Do you think I'm a terrible mother?"

Harry got up from his chair, aware that her voice had risen. As he looked up at the people on the other side of the glass, he could see the discreet lowering of their eyes, and then suddenly there was movement on the far end of the room, and their attention went towards it. He saw them talking and within seconds, Lucas walked towards his desk, sitting in front of the computer, his back facing Harry's office.

"This decision had nothing to do with your ability as a mother, or your love for Liam, and I have no question regarding your capacity as a mother," Harry began, returning his gaze to Alexa. "I'm sorry if you feel differently, Alexa."

"So is this when you tell me that this decision is just one of my father's directives? His way of controlling everything, like he always did, even from the grave?"

Harry shook his head. "No, Alexa. This time, the decision was mine. It's for Liam's best interests."

Alexa got up from the chair and walked towards the door just as Harry caught Ros' eye through the glass and beckoned her to come over. He got up and walked towards Alexa, his hand resting on her shoulder. "I'm sorry, Alexa. One day I hope you'll understand."

The door opened, and Harry turned towards Alexa. "Ros will escort you out," he said softly. "I'll pick you up next week at nine thirty," he added.

Alexa glared at him. "You don't have to, Uncle Harry," she said wryly. "I can drive myself to the cemetery for a change. After all, I'm all grown up now."

Harry did not say anything as Alexa walked away. He closed the door behind him and stood by the window, watching his people from behind the glass. They appeared to be busy, engrossed in the tasks they had at hand and as his gaze alighted upon Lucas' desk, a wave of relief washed over him.