"I was called into the conference room because they believed the business was slowing down because it was run by a single woman. They gave an ultimatum. I had or have to be married or at least engaged to a man or I would lose my position of CEO."

"Dating isn't something that comes easy to me. People are easily intimidated because of my job, they see me as a ticket to a luxury life or they see me as some stuck up princess that has everything handed to her on a silver platter." I couldn't help to look him straight in the eye with that final comment.

"I created a dating profile and used my assistant's name and occupation to let people get to know the real me. The version of me that I want people to know. I wanted to tell you this so much sooner if we hit it off. But the run-ins we had before that and your strong opinions against people that come from money, made it all that scarier than it already was. I never wanted you to find out the way you did and I can't express how sorry I am."

The story was out and a wave of relief washed over me. My limbs felt lighter, I could breathe more easily and somehow the world seemed like a happier place. Everything was out in the open. No more secrets.

Julian still hadn't said a word and was looking through the window. I could imagine him needing some time to process all that I had told him a few moments ago. "Did you really think I would agree to marry you in such a short period of time? What sane person would"

Of course, he would ask this question. He wasn't stupid. "To be honest, I didn't care. First I was set on finding a man my father wouldn't agree with, just to piss him off. But later on, I realized that my father never would approve the kind of guy I would want to share my life with because my father doesn't accept me. He doesn't give a damn about my happiness."

A tear escaped my eyes and closed my eyes, hoping Julian didn't notice. But it was too late. He had already brought up a hand to my cheek and wiped the tear away with his thumb.

"If he doesn't care about your happiness, why follow through with the ultimatum he gave you?"

"Because I'm a girl. I grew up with classmates who all were close to their fathers. They might have been overprotective and overbearing, but at least they showed they cared. All I have ever wanted was to be accepted by my father. If only I worked hard enough, did what was expected of me, and thrive at it, just maybe I could do him proud. I now realize it is of no use. But I refuse to lose the position I sacrificed everything for. I know it's pathetic. I didn't even want the damn job in the first place."

I took another sip of my drink, just to avoid Julian's pending gaze, willing for the tears not to come. No matter how big the initial relief was, this moment felt quite awkward.

Julian scooted closer to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me into his chest. And I broke. Tears were streaming down my cheeks and eventually, they were caught by the fabric of Julian's shirt. "It's okay. You can let it go."

I pushed him away. "What are you doing? Weren't you angry with me? How can you sit here and comfort me while all I did was lie to you?"

He let out a sigh. "You did so much more than lie to me." I opened my mouth to react but he immediately stopped me. "I let you say what you needed to say without interrupting. You owe it to me to repay that effort." I was dumbfounded. I expected him to yell at me, or to storm out once I told him. Sure, he told me he needed an explanation, but I never would have guessed he would stay here and would have tried to make me feel better.

"You did so much more than lie to me. You challenged me to no avail. I have never dated a woman that was so confident, strong-willed, independent, and intelligent as you. And Lucy, let me tell you, those qualities are very sexy on their own. But combined? They make you a bombshell. You have no idea how hard it was to resist you that night you stepped into the bar asking for my phone to call your mom. Yes, you lied. And I still don't do well with lies. But I get why you did it."

The tears in my eyes were still there, threatening to fall once again. Julian lifted my chin with his finger, forcing me to look up to him. Our eyes locked together and we sat there for a while, just looking in each other's eyes. I had no recollection who made the first move, but soon our lips molded together. The kiss was tender and soft, but the underlying passion was undeniable. I felt it through my entire body, pumping through my veins.

---------------------------

Another amazing cover made by 

So what do you think about this chapter? What do you think will be next for Lucy and Julian? What do you think Lucy should do about the situation? 

I love to hear your thoughts.

Until next time!

XO Anna