thirty-four

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥
( 𝘓𝘐𝘝𝘌. )

MURPHY AWOKE to the muffled sounds of clanking dishes in the downstairs kitchen

MURPHY AWOKE to the muffled sounds of clanking dishes in the downstairs kitchen. Her eyes fluttered open and the bright light streaming through the cracked curtains made her squint. She let out a sigh and stretched her arms above her head. Not feeling Daryl's touch or any hint to his presence beside her, she turned to see an empty side of the bed. Murphy did not think too much of it, however. Instead of worrying, she swung her legs over the side of the bed and ran her hands through her tussled locks. She stood up and first went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and get ready for the long day ahead. Next, she picked out a simple outfit of her usual jeans and a light flannel, a few buttons undone by the neck. With that, she was ready and exited the bedroom.

As she made her way down the house stairs and toward the kitchen, she found Michonne standing before the stove. She had her hair pulled back as she scrambled some eggs, which smelled delicious to Murphy. She walked forward and spoke with a smile.

"This smells delicious."

Michonne turned around with her brows raised, and a wide grin crossed her face, "Can't remember the last time I cooked, so let's see how this goes..."

"I'm starving- I can't wait," Murphy muttered and brushed past Michonne to help with rinsing the dishes. "What's the plan for today?"

"Cleaning up from last night. Keeping the people calm," Michonne responded, picking up the pan to put the eggs on a plate. "Rick is gonna take care of... Pete. Morgan's gonna help."

Murphy nodded, her face stoic as she remembered the events that transpired the night before. It shouldn't be easy to forget, but when you have experienced so much loss and are suddenly thrust into a place too good to be true, you did.

Rinsing off the last of the soap on the plate in her hand, Murphy turned to look at Michonne, "Have you seen Daryl?"

"Yeah, he's out front working on his bike," Michonne replied, but a sly smile crossed her face almost instantaneously and she stopped her work. "Speaking of... when did everything happen between the two of you?"

Murphy raised her chin to the ceiling in mock annoyance, but smiled nevertheless, "The night before his run with Aaron, so... three, four days ago?"

Michonne grinned and leaned back against the counter behind her, "I love it. I love you two together. You know, Rick and I sensed whatever was goin' on between you from the beginning."

"You and Rick, huh?" Murphy trailed, sending an almost unnoticeable smirk her way.

Michonne's brows lifted and her eyes widened, pointing a finger in Murphy's direction as a warning, "Now, I don't know what the hell you're trying to imply..."