twenty-one

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗢𝗡𝗘
( 𝘗𝘙𝘌𝘗𝘈𝘙𝘈𝘛𝘐𝘖𝘕. )

"SO WHERE ARE WE GOIN'?  Where's your camp?"

"SO WHERE ARE WE GOIN'? Where's your camp?"

Aaron looked at Rick with wide eyes as he responded, "Well... every time I've done this, I've been behind the wheel driving recruits back. I believe you're good people, I'd bet my life on it. I'm just not ready to bet my friends' lives just yet."

Michonne stepped forward, "You're not driving. So if you wanna get home, you'll have to tell us how."

Murphy's eyes fell upon a map that was set on the crate next to her. She stepped forward, picking it up, and walked over to where Aaron and the small group had congregated.

"Here," she spoke softly, handing the map to Rick. He nodded to her in thanks and crouched beside Aaron. He set the map on the dirt before him, observing the nearby roads and ways to travel.

"Go north on route 16," Aaron muttered reluctantly to Rick.

"We'll take 23 north," Rick responded as Murphy looked over his shoulder. "You'll give us directions from there."

"That's - I don't know how else to say it - That's a bad idea," Aaron reasoned, his voice panicked. "We've cleared 16. It'll be faster."

Rick stared at him with cold eyes, "We'll take 23. We leave at sundown."

"We're doing this at night?" Sasha voiced from the other side of the barn. Her voice was laced with disbelief.

"Look, I know it's dangerous," Rick responded, facing her."But it's better than riding up to the gates during the day. If it isn't safe, we need to get gone before they know we're there."

"No one is going to hurt you!" Aaron spoke with his voice raised. Murphy crossed her arms as she watched the banter. "You're trying to protect your group, but you're putting them in danger."

Rick leaned closer to the man tied before him, "Tell me where the camp is, we'll leave right now."

Aaron's gaze fell to the ground and he shook his head. Murphy studied the man, knowing that deep down, he was being genuine. Not giving up the location wasn't a weakness, it was a sign that he cared deeply about whoever was back at the community. It was a sign that this was real.

Rick rose from his crouched position and turned to the rest of the group, "It's gonna be a long night. Get some rest if you can."

With that, he turned to exit the barn and Michonne followed not far behind. The rest of the group shuffled in their spots, turning to each other and preparing for what was ahead. Murphy looked around, bur her eyes inevitably fell upon Aaron. She stepped forward, a little cautious, but crouched before him.

"Hey," she spoke softly, and his eyes locked with hers. "I... I want you to know that I believe you, and that I think that you're a good guy."

Aaron's face softened in relief and he gave her a smile, "Well... that's good to hear."