thirty-three

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘
( 𝘚𝘐𝘓𝘌𝘕𝘊𝘌. )

THE EVENTS THAT HAD TRANSPIRED were not forgotten in the hours that followed. They had been ingrained into everyone's mind. Unable to escape the grim reality of what was to come, silence had overtaken the walled community of Alexandria. Some were heartbroken, others were numb. There was a mix of confusion, hope, and pain that flooded to and from the minds of those who did not know what to say.

Deanna sat in the courtyard, alone. She stared at the puddle of blood before her. Her hands were caked with the dried remains of the husband she loved so dearly. Murphy had walked home with Daryl, Rick, and Morgan, although she hadn't introduced herself to the new arrival. On her way to the infirmary, she caught a glimpse of the broken woman who hadn't moved from her spot.

She stepped through the gate, carefully making her way forward. She held her hands behind her back to show she meant no harm, and that she only wanted to help. Deanna's head slowly raised so she could lock eyes with Murphy. Her face was still streaked with tears, but it was as if she had no more to shed. The rims of her lids were red and raw after hours of crying... but she was done. The woman had lost her son and her husband in a matter of days. How could she go on?

"Deanna?" Murphy whispered, stepping closer.

Deanna's bottom lip trembled as she desperately tried to suppress the emotions within her. Murphy crouched beside her and raised a hand to set upon her shoulder. She pulled it back just before it made contact with the grieving woman. Deanna let out a long exhale and blinked the tears away.

"Do you remember what I told you... the day you came here?" Deanna spoke, quietly.

Murphy nodded, "Yes. Yes, of course I do."

The corners of Deanna's lips turned upward in a somber smile, "I told you that finding my husband was one of the most important things that ever happened to me. You knew how much I loved him."

"I did," Murphy smiled.

"You tried to save him," Deanna whispered, her voice breaking. "I keep replaying the moment in my mind... and the only thing that keeps me from losing myself is seeing you there. Thank you."

Murphy's brows turned up in sentiment and she pressed her lips together in a smile. Her eyes burned, but she finally set her hand upon Deanna's shoulder, gently, "You don't need to thank me. He was a good man."

Deanna nodded, looking down at the ground once more. Murphy studied her for a moment but spoke up, "I'm heading to the infirmary. Do you want me to walk you home?"

"No, no," Deanna waved away, but her eyes were still trained on the puddle of blood. "I need more time."

"Okay," Murphy responded softly. She stuffed her hands in the pockets of her jacket and turned to leave Deanna to herself. But just as she was about to exit the courtyard, she heard Deanna.

"Murphy!" She called, and Murphy looked over her shoulder. "Alexandria is lucky to have you."

Murphy have her a small smile of thanks, her green eyes showing all that she was feeling inside. With that, silence was once more all one could hear in the streets of the community. Murphy shivered in the cool air, wind blowing against her freckled cheeks and through her blonde hair. She heard her boots click against the brick sidewalk as she made her way to the infirmary. When she arrived and opened the door, she didn't expect to see what she did. Tara had woken up.