꧁Tʜᴇ Tʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ Pʀᴀᴄᴛɪᴄᴇ꧂

Katherine had sat between Peter and Susan upon her arrival to their breakfast, which had been laid out across an ornate wooden table. The mahogany table itself was perched on spread out blankets full of deep, rich colour and many pillows were strewn all over for the children to sit comfortably on. Katherine herself had sat on a royal blue cushion and was spreading jam over her fourth piece of toast.

Peter by now had moved to lean against a giant boulder whilst drinking water from a metal cup. He watched the girl with faint amusement and a touch of longing on his face. She was oblivious to his looks as he watched her move the knife back and forth in a fluid moment over the bread. Trying to memorize her facial features for what he was certain would be the last time.

Once she had finished with the jam, she put the nearly empty pot back in the middle of the table and groaned in delight as she sunk her teeth into the toasted bread. The taste of freshly made butter and jam hit her with a sweet memory of Sunday morning breakfasts with her parents. One of the only occasions they shared meals. A smile graced Katherine's face as she remembered the memory fondly.

Someone snorted and voiced out.

"Narnia isn't going to run out of toast Edmund" Katherine opened her eyes to find Lucy smirking at her older brother who had been scarfing down his sixth slice. Susan lent in towards Katherine.

"Goodness, I think he's learning from you" Katherine rolled her eyes but laughed a little at the comment as she pushed Susan's hand away with a pout. Katherine heard Peter's restless movements and turned to face the boy as he spoke up.

"Then you better pack some for the journey" Katherine put down her half-eaten piece of toast and looked up in confusion. The other three Pevensie siblings were equally shocked. They exchanged glances before Susan spoke up.

"So we're going home?" Peter gave her a look that to Katherine showed some guilt and hints of fear. She tried to meet his eyes so that she could read what was going on inside his mind however, he refused to make eye contact with her. He chose instead to watch the grass next to Susan's head and Katherine could not help but be concerned with what he was going to say.

"You are" he began and he kicked off from the wall before continuing, "I promised mum that I'd keep you four safe, but it doesn't mean I can't stay behind and help."

He sat back down on the carpet-like blankets and turned to Katherine finally to see her reaction. She locked him in a fierce stare as she said.

"I too made a promise and if you stay so do I"

She held her ground glaring defiantly at him, Peter opened his mouth to reply but Lucy beat him to it.

"Besides they need all four of us, Peter, it's no use one of us staying because they won't be able to right anything without all of us there"

Lucy's words stabbed a very insecure part of Katherine as once again she was left out of the equation, she knew it was silly. That the prophecy had only mentioned the four siblings and there was no reason to let jealousy gnaw at her right now but she couldn't help wishing they would include her too. That they would want her to stay with them, not talk as if she was extra baggage and they didn't care if she stayed or not.

This of course was not at all how the four Pevensie siblings saw Katherine however Katherine's fears of being forgotten by them once again clouded her judgement.

"Lucy it's too dangerous." Peter began, "You and Katherine almost drowned, Katherine and Edmund were almost killed! I'm not going to take the chance of anything happening like that again"

"You don't have to Peter, I'm my own person and I can make my own choices. If I choose to stay that's my own risk" Katherine snapped back growing irritated. She didn't understand why he had to be so noble all the time. She didn't want him to risk his life whilst she fled across the country like a coward.