31. Nicholas

There's a part of me that doesn't mind hiking, but I prefer doing trails and paths that are straight and narrow. Climbing up hills, going back down and up again, those are the kind of 'hikes' that professional cross trainers take, and that isn't me. Not one fucking bit. When we reached the first pit stop, I was out of water and sweating like a whore in church. My legs were already weak and it was clear to me and anyone else that could see I was horribly out of shape. I have been pampered by a cushy office job, and a wife that was too good in the kitchen. The end result was some extra pounds, low energy and looking like a total wuss during this hike. Every now and then I can feel Jimbo looking at me, with those eyes that let me know he's judging my fat ass and how weak I'm looking. Even the women are not aching and moaning as bad as I am. I'm pathetic. An embarrassment to all men. The shame of my gender. I might as well lop of my balls and turn them in, as I don't deserve them anymore.

    "Nic," I heard a voice called out.

     I looked over and Mr. Parsons has stopped walking and waited for me to catch up to him.

     "Hey there," I said, huffing a little too much. "You alright, Sir?"

     "I was about to ask you the same thing," Mr. Parsons said, as he put a hand on my shoulder to bring me to a stop. "Jimbo and I are a little worried here. You look pale. The last thing we want is for you to have a heart attack."

     "I'm sorry, Sir." I said, taking a moment to suck in some more air. "I'm just not as fit as I used to be. I stopped going to the gym and it just went downhill from there."

     "What's going on, Nic?" Mr. Parsons asked, "This doesn't feel normal for you."

     "I know, but it's just something I have to deal with on my own." I said, rather cryptically. "I'm dealing with a lot of other issues I haven't told anyone about. I also underestimated this hike. If I had known, I would have brought things like a bigger water jug and my inhaler."

     "We're not far from our destination," Mr. Parsons added. "It's less than a mile. Do you think  you can handle it?"

     "I can now," I said, smiling back at him. "Knowing there's a finish line helps."

     "Here," Mr. Parson said as he passed me a water bottle. "This is my spare. Don't worry about me, mine is still half full."

     "Thank you," I said as he traded bottles and he put my empty one where the other was stashed. "I'll be fine, but if I'm not I'll be sure to let you know."

     "Good man," Mr. Parsons said as he patted me on the back and let me get ahead of him before he resumed walking as well.

     Rachel looked over and the at me as I managed to catch up with her.

     "What the fuck was that about?" She asked me.

     "He's just worried," I said, sarcastically. "He's afraid of a lawsuit if I croak during this fucking hike."

     "Well, don't push your luck." Rachel said, "Don't risk your health for a job you already dropped out of the running for. When I get that promotion, I'm going to need your help too."

     "You will?" I said, looking more confused than pale. 

     "Of course!" Rachel confirmed, "You're a hard worker and honest as well. I'd be a fool not to seek your help when I'm running things. I'll make sure you get a raise too!"

     "Sounds good to me," I said, getting a second wind from my new supply of water. "Now I hope you do get the job."

     "That makes two of us," Rachel said, "Excuse me, I'm going to ask Jimbo to slow the fuck down before he kills some of us."

     "Thanks," I said as I watched her pick up the pace to catch up with her man.

     Mr. Parsons said it was less than a mile, but it felt like we walked two more miles before finally reaching what was our destination. There were two trailers, and several tents already set up, a fire pit and a lot of camping equipment. I took a look at the new settings and it quickly dawned on me what was going on.

     "Son of a bitch," I said, wheezing. "I hate camping."

     Jimbo walked up and put his arm around me.

    "You're failing to see the good news." He whispered to me.

     "And what might that be, Superman?" I asked him.

     "We're staying here tonight," Jimbo answered, "And that means no more hiking for the rest of the day."

     "Oh, I like the sound of that." I said, sighing loudly. "Suddenly camping doesn't sound so bad."

     "That's the spirit!" Jimbo said, slapping my back. "You did well, so stop being so hard on yourself. I know what you're dealing with, and you were a trooper to keep up with us. You take a break in that chair over there and I'm going to catch our supper."

     "That sounds good to me," I said as I started to limp over to the chair he pointed out.

     There were a few folding chairs but there were a few better ones that looked more comfy, and that was the one Jimbo was pointing out for me. I could feel the stress leave my legs and back as I slowly eased into the chair and relaxed. The chair was so comfortable that I could have easily fallen asleep but kept myself awake on purpose. The more exhausted I was later on in the night, the easier it would be for me to sleep in the tent.

     "Are you alright, Nicholas?" a soft voice asked me.

     I opened my eyes, and Mrs. Parsons appeared to look just as concerned as her husband did earlier in the day.

     "I'm much better now," I replied, "Thank you."

     "Can I get you a drink?" she asked, "We have sodas in the cooler."

     "A diet Pepsi would be amazing, thank you." I said with a grateful smile.

     After Mrs. Parsons grabbed me that diet Pepsi, I sat there and drank it while watching Angie inspect the tents, probably looking for the best one for herself. It was only moments later that she realized they all had names on them and were preassigned like the rooms in the cabin. I laughed to myself and kept drinking my Pepsi, content to watch and observe for the time being. My back was aching but I could tell the fun was just beginning.