👹Episode Two👹

25th November 2007

Margaret stood outside her friend's shop.
'Finally, there's a way out for me.' She thought.

After church, she went to her friend, Janet's, shop like she was told. Her mind was occupied throughout the church service; she was thinking of how the future will be when she gives birth.

“So where are we going?” Margaret asked as she entered her friend's car.

“You’ll see when we get there,” Janet replied bluntly.

After hours on the road, they finally reached their destination, which was a house that seemed to be deserted.
They both got down and walked towards the house.

“Margaret, when we enter, don't say anything unless I tell you to,” Janet warned her friend.

“Ok,” Margaret replied, and they entered the house.

When they entered, Margaret looked around the room. It was covered in red and black clothes.

'So she brought me to a herbalist. It's ok, at least my problem will be solved.' She thought.

“What are you here for?” a deep voice from underneath the hood of a black cloak thundered.

On hearing the voice, Margaret jumped in fear. Her heart started beating fast. Meanwhile, Janet was not affected; she was already used to it.

“We are here because of my friend. She has been married for the past ten years, but she has never gotten pregnant. Her marital home is at stake now. So I brought her here, hoping you could help.” Janet said, pointing towards Margaret.

“Yes, Sir. That's why we are here.” Margaret stuttered.

“Ok, it is done. You can go.” The voice said.

'What's this one saying. He didn't do anything, and he is saying that we should leave.' Margaret thought.

“But you didn't do anything,” Margaret said, earning an angry look from Janet who was about to drag her out.

“I said leave! I am the devil, and when I said It is done, you believe so.” The voice roared, and Margaret scurried away with shaky legs, Janet behind her.

“When I told you not to talk, did you think I was joking. That man could have killed us.”  Janet shouted at Margaret.

“I'm sorry, I never knew that he was powerful,” Margaret said, taking deep breaths. She was petrified, but she hoped whatever the man did work.

         27th November 2008

It has been a year since Margaret's encounter with the devil. Nine months after, which was three months ago, she gave birth to a bouncing baby girl. The child was named 'Diana'.

Diana's birth brought joy into the Uwakwe family. Margaret was delighted. She forgot the source of the child.

It was at night when Diana started crying. Margaret took her out of the room so as not to disturb her husband, who was sleeping.

'Why is she crying at this time.' Margaret thought.

Suddenly, the light flickered then it turned off. Margaret jumped in fear, holding her daughter tight.

“Woman, I have come for my payment.” A voice said.
Margaret looked around. She squinted her eyes, trying to find the owner of the voice.

“You don't need to search for me.” the voice said, and a dim light came on, revealing a shadow.

“I have come for my child.” The voice said.

“Which child. This was not what we talked about. Please, I will do anything.” Margaret whimpered.

'I can't lose this child ' she thought.

“Then you must sacrifice a life every five years for your child to live. The first sacrifice will be when the child is five years old.” the voice said, and the shadow disappeared. Everything returned to back to normal.

'What have I gotten myself into. Where will I see someone to sacrifice? This child must not die.' She sobbed.

              27th August 2013

It had been five years since the birth of Diana. The time for the first payment had arrived, and Margaret had not decided on who to use for the sacrifice.

Mr Marcus Uwakwe sat in the dining room, facing his wife. He had noticed a change in his wife's behaviour. She was always staring into space, sighing and her face was still in a frown.

'What is she always thinking about?' He thought.

“Margaret, won't you eat your food. You're just staring at it. Is anything wrong?” Marcus asked, bringing  Margaret out of her reverie.

“Nothing is wrong. I'm not just hungry.” She lied.

After her husband left for work, Margaret was in her room thinking about her last encounter with the devil.
'Hmnn. Tomorrow is Diana's birthday, and I don't know who to use for the sacrifice. This girl must not die.' She thought, interrupted by the ringing of her phone.

“Hello Mama Diana.”  a voice said from the other end.

“Hello, please, who is speaking?” she asked.

“It is Chibuzor, your friend's son. I called to inform you that my mother had put to bed,” he said.

“Congratulations! I'll be there soon. ” She faked enthusiasm. Margaret became jealous of her friend.

'She has given birth again. Now she has

Six children but here I am, fighting for the one that I have. Maybe I should use just one of her children for the sacrifice.' She made up her mind.

Suddenly, the lights went off, and the room became dark even though it was in the morning.

'The devil is here.' She thought.

“I see. You've made up your mind.” a voice said, startling Margret.

“Yes, I have. I'll use my friend's son, Chibuzor.” she hesitated.

“It is done. I'll be back for the next sacrifice.” the voice said and disappeared, everything returned to normal.

Two weeks later, Chibuzor died, but no one was suspicious.

'She still has five other children.' Margaret thought.