👹Episode One👹

"It is time." Came a deep voice from underneath the hood of a black cloak.

This was how it started...

24th November 2007

Saturday morning in the Uwakwe's Mansion was dry. Margaret sat down on the couch of the living room. She just had breakfast which was cooked by her maid, Amaka. Her husband, Mr Marcus Uwakwe, was not around. He travelled for an important meeting.

Margaret and Marcus have been married for ten years. Unfortunately, a child had not come out of their relationship. They've gone to different hospitals both in Nigeria and overseas, but none of the visits was ever successful. They tried various methods like IVF and others, but they all failed. Whenever Mr Uwakwe thought of his situation, he becomes depressed. However, he never blamed her for the childlessness, but his mother was the opposite. She was the perfect definition of a harsh mother-in-law, but it was all because she cared for her son. She used every opportunity she had to abuse and remind Margaret of her childlessness.

'God! Why me. What have I ever done to deserve all this?' Margaret sighed.

She was thinking about the state of her marriage. However, she had forgotten what she did in the past.

Margaret's parent died when she was thirteen years old. After their death, she had to live with her uncle and his family. As she grew up, her uncle started noticing her woman features. He forced himself on her and raped her.

Ever since then, Margaret became a prostitute, a full-fleshed one. She slept with different men for money, and she aborted a lot of pregnancies until she met Marcus, who loved her the way she was. Notwithstanding her past, Marcus married her as his wife even though his mother was against the marriage. Even with her childlessness, Marcus never regretted marrying her.

The loud sound of the gate brought Margaret out of her thoughts.

'Who is that animal knocking the gate in that manner?' She thought.

"Amaka!" Margaret yelled for her maid out of annoyance.

"Ma," Amaka answered, rushing from the kitchen where she was washing dirty plates to the living room.

"Are you deaf? Didn't you hear someone knocking the gate? Go and open the gate." Margaret shouted.

On opening the gate, Marcus's Mother entered stomping her legs aggressively. She came for business.

"Mama, good morning. What are you doing here? Hope no problem." Margaret said when she saw the woman.

'Argg. Why is this useless woman here again.' Margaret thought?

"Hold your greetings. I don't need them. You know what the problem is Margaret. I want a grandchild. If you know that you cannot give me one, then leave my son alone. Let him find another wife. If you don't get pregnant in the next two months, you will leave this house." Marcus's mother shouted, with dark squinted eyes. She was tired of being mocked by her friends and neighbours.

After making sure that her words affected Margaret, she left the house, slamming the gate loudly.

When her Mother-in-law left, Margret broke down in tears.

'This woman embarrassed me today. I must find a way to get pregnant. If not, they'll send me out, and I don't want to leave my Marcus.' She thought.

The sound of Margaret's phone halted her tears. Her friend, Janet, was calling.

"Hello, Janet," Margaret said in a low tone.

"Margaret, how are you? I called just to greet you."

"I'm am not fine, my friend. My life is in shambles, and I don't know what to do."

"What do you mean by you are not fine. Tell me, maybe I can help you."

"My mother-in-law came today. She embarrassed me all because I haven't given birth. She said that if I don't get pregnant in two months, her son will marry another wife." Margaret sobbed.

"That's serious. I can help you. "

"I'll appreciate your help."

"Can you do anything to get pregnant?"

"Yes, I can. "

"Ok, tomorrow, meet me at my shop tomorrow afternoon."

"Ok. Thank you, Janet. You're a good friend."

"Don't mention it. What are friends for? I have something to do. I'll see you tomorrow, bye."

"Bye."