Chapter 10

Hours later, Alby and Minho still weren't back. The Gladers seemed to be on edge, and it was eerily quiet. The sky was beginning to tinge purple with the incoming sunset and I was seated on a low-lying branch of my tree, watching the Doors.

They had to come back. Alby and Minho couldn't die like that, alone, in the Maze. I wouldn't let that happen.

Newt was in front of the Homestead, conversing with Frypan and Zart. He sent me a worried glance.

I heard shuffling beneath me and I looked down to see Thomas standing at the base of the tree. 

"Mind if I join you?" He called. I shook my head and smiled at him. 

He sent me an awkward smile and I felt my heart warming. When he reached my branch he pulled himself up next to me, our shoulders brushing. The feeling felt familiar and I had to restrain myself from wrapping my arms around his waist.

He bumped my shoulder with his and raised an eyebrow. "What's got everyone on edge?"

I forgot that he must've been working when Minho and Alby left.

"Minho found a dead griever today. He and Alby left hours ago to go see it, and they still aren't back." I said shortly, and I chewed on the inside of my lip nervously.

Thomas looped his arm around my shoulders and drew me two him in a side-hug. I sighed, and leaned into him. Unless he went through the Changing, he would never know just how much it mean to me. My heart felt like it was trying to beat out of my chest, and I leaned my head on him momentarily.

"What happens if they don't make it back in time?" He asked, looking down at me.

I smiled slightly at the little double chin that had formed from the action and then detattached myself from him.

"They don't make it. The Doors close, and the most likely die." I said sadly. I couldn't bare to think about not having a sarcastic argument with Minho again or seeing Alby's reassuring smile.

"No one's ever survived a night in the maze." I sighed, my posture deflating.

The next few hours passed agonizingly slow, and my heart felt constricted the entire time.

I just found Thomas, don't let me lose Alby and Minho, I prayed, not even knowing who or what I was praying to.

Eventually, I left Thomas alone in the tree and swung myself down to ground level. I walked to the door to the maze and sat against the inside edge, so I lay with my feet out in front of me, just barely inside the Maze.

The other Gladers began to gather around, and soon Newt stood beside me along with Frypan, Zart, and even Winston. We exchanged a tense glance, our hatred for eachother momentarily forgotten. The inside of my lip was raw from the amount that I had been chewing on it.

Finally, the familiar gust of wind came tearing down the Maze corridor towards us, pulling at our clothes. Newt took my arm and helped me up. We stood side-by-side, Thomas to my left and Newt to my right.

I shifted my weight uneasily as the onslaught of air died down and with a loud groan the mechanics of the Doors began to move. With a screaming grate, the Doors slowly began to close.

Up ahead, two dark figures rounded the corner.

"Minho," I gasped, and my hands flew to my mouth. Alby seemed to be unconcious and was draped over Minho's back like a sack of potatoes. Minho was straining with the effort of carrying him and his steps were slow and unsteady.

The other boys quickly looked up to see their fellow Gladers and soon they began to shout encouragement.

"C'mon Minho!" Someone yelled from behind me and Newt raked his fingers through his hair.