Chapter 15

And now I present Chapter 15, the final chapter, of Saudade. It's been a wonderful journey (..and this isn't the end of it)!

Chapter 15

- -

Minho yanked me into an awkward hug the second I stepped out of the dank Slammer, and Thomas followed suit, clapping him on the shoulder.

The forest around the Slammer was dense, and I couldn't see anything that had changed from Gally's take-over but the second we reached the treeline, my blood boiled with anger.

Guards stood at each of the entrances to the maze, armed with weapons. Normally only keepers were allowed weapons, and the others were locked in Alby's room in the homestead. Gally had unlocked the stash of blades, and every Glader I could see had at least one weapon strapped onto him.

"How are we going to get past the guards?" I whispered, crouching down in the undergrowth. I scratched at my chin as a fern leaf tickled it.

"We have to get Teresa and Alby first. They're still keeping Alby up in the sickroom and Teresa made up some shuck story about how girls are better at helping sick people, so she's in there with him." Newt responded, peering past one of the tree trunks to see the guards I spoke about.

"You guys go make a distraction," Minho whispered, sitting back on his heels. "While you distract the guards, I'll go get Alby and Teresa, and I'll round up as many boys as I can who are on our side."

With that he took off, heading towards the Homestead.

Newt, Thomas, and I all shared a mildly amused and frustrated glance.

"Of course he runs off, leaving us without a plan." Thomas chuckled.

Newt's eyebrows furrowed, and he looked like he was doing some deep thinking.

"You guys head toward the North doors, I've got an idea." He said, nodding in the direction of the doors.

"Are you kidding me? There are guards there! What are you gonna do?" I asked, growing impatient.

Newt turned, grabbing my bicep and looking me in the eye. "I know there are guards there. You're going to have to trust me, and Minho. Go!" He whispered urgently.

And with that, Newt leapt out of the cover of the forest, sprinting towards a group of heavily-armed boys, Gally included, that stood near the demolished Map Room.

"They escaped!" He screamed frantically, his arms waving around. "Thomas and Thalia escaped!"

My mouth fell open with shock, "What is he doing?!" I hissed angrily.

"He's helping us make a distraction. Come on!" Thomas said. Grabbing my hand, he pulled me to my feet and took off towards the North Doors.

The angry shouts of Gally and the other Gladers quickly followed us, their footfalls soft compared to the frantic beating of my heart. It thudded in my ears as my legs pounded furiously to gain purchase against the grass and dirt beneath me. The tips of my hair whipped my face and I shook my head to toss my hair over my shoulder.

Thomas' hand was warm in mine and he gave it a squeeze when the guards at the doors realized what was happening. The guards turned their weapons toward us, and I could see their hands tightening around the shafts of the javelins nervously, the sharp tips level with my chest.

The nearer we got, the more adrenaline pumped through my veins. My body thrummed with energy.

All I need to do is get past those guards, and I'll be free. I can escape the maze, I thought.