Age 7. At the Capital

Seasons come and seasons go, that's the easiest way for me to calculate time. Six winters have passed since I was born.

I've long since learned to read and write and on top of my literary classes, I've had to learn martial arts and meditation.

Only after coming here did I understand just how pampered we are in the future. A boy cannot live without learning martial arts and the art of war... in my past life the closest I ever was to knowing martial arts were Hollywood movies and anime.

In here, "one's body is a temple and we must work to care and strengthen our link to divinity" that was the first ever lesson I got from the kung-fu master coming to the house to teach me.

If I were my past self, the intensity of the exercises I normally perform now would have probably killed me. This body, however, is incredibly flexible and I love the feeling of freedom and strength I get from every exercise I do. If gym freaks get this rush from working out, no wonder they spend their lives pushing and pulling weights.

But here there are no gyms subscriptions. Here the teachers come to me every day to teach all they can in their not so limited time.

As a noble, society has many expectations of my young self. I'm supposed to continue my father's career as a servant of the emperor. I'm supposed to be knowledgeable, fair and honorable, while remaining myself.

I love my books, but there isn't much variety. Most literature I've found is about war, martial arts, something called cultivation (wich to my surprise has nothing to do with plants), or romantic fiction for females. There are no fantasy sagas and of course no science-fiction.

I might be doing the world a favor by writing something innovative.

Fortunately, practicing martial arts and the discipline behind them aids my creativity, so it's a win-win for all.

My teachers are pleased by my dedication, I'm pleased by my quick progress in both areas, and my parents are incredibly proud that their son is a genius.

"Young master" I hear the voice of my MA teacher calling me as I finish the kata I was taught that same day. As soon as I stop, a younger boy comes and hands me a towel so I can clean the sweat from my face.

I turn to the old man "How did I do, Master Fa?"

"Excellent as always, young master. This teacher is honored to have such a talented student." That's one thing I still have issues with. Most people here talk in a third person when they refer to themselves in formal speech.

"The honor is mine, for having such a knowledgeable teacher" I bow my head with a wushu salute to him, and he returns the gesture with a more pronounced bow.

He's smiling "young master, the Emperor's eunuch is here, and Master Shen is calling for your presence in his study."

I sigh.

The bald man I mentioned earlier turned out to be the royal Eunuch, a messenger from the Imperial Family that comes and goes at their bidding. This past year, my father has requested my presence every time the man appears in our home. I always feel like I'm being put on the spot whenever he comes, because my father loves to boast about how intelligent his son is.

I give the towel to the servant who then rushes to the houseto fix my bath and clothes to receive the impending meeting.

Before exiting the dojo, I look at my teacher "Master, will you teach me about cultivation?"

Master Fa smiles pleasantly but doesn't seem surprised. It seems he had been waiting for me to ask that. "Of course, young master. I shall bring the books with me tomorrow."