Age 13. Bandits

I kept my promise to the prince over the course of the following six years. Each three months I would take a week to visit the royal city. And each time I would stay at our home in the capital, being served by Ling, who only grew more beautiful and amiable with each season than passed.

I always tried not being a burden to her, and she in turn dedicated herself to me. If we were older, it would have been said that we were courting each other, but truth was much stranger than that: we were friends.

At the age of 13, when my family received the Emperor's invite to participate in that year's Spring Competition and the Flower Viewing festival sponsored by the empress, we made our way to the capital. 

This time around, father asked Master Fa to accompany us, stating that it would be good for my future to be seen with my master in the competition. Master Fa had no reason to deny his request, and he accompanied us on our way. My sister and two younger siblings were already studying under him, he hadn't expected them to be as talented as me, but they weren't slouches either. Zhi was by far the most talented of the three, and she loved flaunting it in front of our brothers, who would get upset and try harder.

I had long since learned the art of spiritual cultivation from my Master, which led me into a path of discovery that I was almost addicted to. It was the furthest thing I had ever found from science, but that had been present in the anime shows I loved the most back in the day.

The use of Chi.

It wasn't like in most anime's, you couldn't shoot energy beams form your hands or feet, but you could influence the elements if done correctly. It also gave me a strength and speed above the norm, and my body healed naturally five times faster than normal.

After asking about it, Master Fa answered that it was the reason why he could still teach the way he did despite his age: the man was 112 years old.

I was taught by the Albus Dumbledore of Kung-fu.

With his guidance, a week before the invitation arrived, I had finally surpassed the second Heavenly Tribulation. Which was nothing short of a miracle for one as young as I.

I kept up with my writing, both to help my friend the prince and to amuse myself. So far, I had written four novelized manuals surrounding the teachings of kung-fu.

I was well and truly hooked. Cultivation gave me a sense of absolute power that nothing ever did in either lifetime.

I sat in the carriage with mother who was pregnant again, and my younger siblings.

"Ge-ge" Zhi smiled up at me with her sparkling eyes "do you think we will get to see Heng-ge at the Capital?"

I chuckled lightly "I'm sure Heng Li will find the way to come for us if we don't find him first." I clicked my tongue at her dreamy tone "Keep that up mei-mei, and this ge-ge will have words with the prince. I'll make him leave you alone."

She looked scandalized but couldn't do more than glare my way with our mother there. Yui and Hui, chuckled at her predicament and when Zhi transferred her glare to them, they ended up laughing harder.

"Jie-jie, do you like Heng Li?" Yui asks with the insolence of innocence, making me chuckle and my mother hide a grin behind her hand.

While my poor sister is spluttering in indignance.

Suddenly, I felt something coming from outside, and was barely in time to stop an arrow from piercing my sister's face from the side.