chapter 4

"I hope Eliza's not in a lot of trouble." Cherry said as she combed her hair down to get into bed.

"I'm sure she'll be okay, Cherry," Arlene said, sliding on her nightgown. "The other girls and I decided you were right and we should've given her a chance."

"See?" Cherry turned to her with a winning smile.

"We're going to see her and hear another one of her adventures, care to join us?"

"Thanks Arlene, I'd love that."

Arlene walked over to the door. "It's a long while before bedtime."

"It is, do you mind waiting for me a little?" Cherry asked. "I feel a little homesick now."

"Of course," Arlene understood. "Take your time, I'll wait for you."

"Thanks again, Arlene." Cherry smiled at her room-mate.

"But of course, Cherry." Arlene smiled back.

Cherry went outside in her rain boots and jacket as it was raining yet again. It had rained earlier and a lot into the day. Cherry didn't mind though, she always liked miserable weather. She never understood why though. She took a phone, used the special card and dialed the number of her home. She waited by the near endless dial tone, then she smiled once she heard a familiar voice.

"Hello?"

"Mom!" Cherry gushed.

"Hey!" Michelle sounded cheerful. "How's school? You making any friends? Do you miss us as much as we missed you?"

"Slow down, Mom, you sound more nervous than I did on the first day!" Cherry giggled.

"Sorry dear," Michelle laughed a little, then calmed down. "Anyway, how's school going?"

"I really miss you and Daddy," Cherry replied. "I have a nice room-mate, her name's Arlene. She let me join her little group with her, Muffy Watson and Sarah Wellington."

"Oh that's lovely, sounds like you got your own little posse." Michelle said.

"I guess." Cherry shrugged, she never understood slang very well.

"I'd let you talk to Dad but he's on his way to work now, I'll be going in half an hour as well."

"Send him my love."

"Of course dear, you have fun with your friends okay?"

"Okay Mom... bye..." Cherry never liked saying goodbye.

"Hey, you'll be home before you know it, don't worry."

"Thanks Mom, good morning."

"Good night, Cherry."

The mother and daughter hung up and Cherry met back with Arlene as Sarah was on her own way to use a telephone.

"Come on, let's get to Eliza's room." Arlene smiled as she gently took Cherry's hand and led her the way.

When the girls came in the room there were other girls surrounding Eliza as she told them what had happened with Darwin and Mrs. Fairgood. The girls sounded worried and empathetic for their new friend.

"Did Mrs. Fairgood make him go to the zoo?" Victoria asked.

"Where did he sleep?" Greta asked.

"Oh, Eliza, tell us everything!" Muffy begged.

"How did you ever smuggle a chimp in your suitcase?" Arlene asked.

"Now, now, one at a time, one at a time, she's had a long day." Cherry sat beside Eliza to calm down the commotion. "Let her breathe, let her breathe."

"Darwin decided to..." Eliza began, then realized what she said. "Oh, uh, I mean, it was easy. Hiding him from Sarah was a different story."

"Ooh! Miss Sarah Wellington thinks she's the bee's knees!" Muffy teased by pushing her nose up and exposing her front teeth to mock Sarah.

"Why would you ever come here where it's so boring?" Arlene asked with interest.

"I got into trouble." Eliza sighed.

"Oh gosh, you didn't endanger the Panda species did you?" Cherry asked with nervousness, Panda bears being her favorite animals.

"No Cherry, nothing like that," Eliza smiled apologetically. "I snuck out at night and there were these poachers, hunting some animals..."

"Poachers?" Cherry's eyes widened.

"With guns?" Arlene added with concern.

"What happened!?" Muffy cried. "Go on, Eliza."

"There were three cheetah cubs I knew," Eliza continued. "Like kittens, only wild. Well, we were running and we heard shots. And a man dropped out of a helicopter on a ladder and grabbed the one I named Tally. I tried to save him, but they cut the ladder..." Eliza got out of bed, hanging her head as she went by the window. "And... I fell... Tally was gone."

"Poor Tally!" Arlene moaned.

"I think he's alive." Eliza turned to the girls who were worrying or in tears. "I just feel it."

"This is terrible!" Cherry cried. "Can't we write a letter or something?"

"Let's have a bake sale!" a chubby girl named Lucia Schmidt proposed.

"Yes, let's!" Muffy agreed. "Oh, let us help!"

"Thanks, you guys but..." Eliza tried to settle them.

The door suddenly slammed open and the girls turned to see Sarah in her pajamas, rain coat, rain hat, boots and a drenching umbrella. "What's going on in my room and why wasn't I invited?" she demanded.

"Sarah," Arlene walked over to the spoiled girl. "Eliza was just telling us the most awful story about... Tally..."

"Never mind," Sarah waved her off. "I've been at Mrs. Fairgood's filling out a report and I'm quite tired. You'll all have to go."

"Good night, Eliza." the girls said as they left the room as Sarah told them to. "Good night, Sarah!"

"Good night, you guys!" Eliza called back as the door got shut.

"I still can't believe you harbored a wild animal in my room, and I never..." Sarah's voice was heard and Cherry couldn't help but crack open the door and listen in. She then giggled as Sarah swiped her comforter off from herself. "There are peas in my bed!"

Eliza just smiled and turned out the light.

Cherry giggled as she followed Arlene back to their room.

"Do you think Tally's alright, Cherry?" Arlene asked as she undid her hair ribbon and got into her bed.

"I hope so," Cherry replied, fluffing her pillow down. "Just imagine how Eliza must feel."

"I wish there was something we could do."

"Me too, hopefully we can all sleep through the night."

"I hope you're right, good night and sweet dreams, Cherry." Arlene clicked out the lamp and turned over in her sleep.

"Night Arlene..." Cherry moaned as a yawn escaped from her throat and her eyes felt heavy.